Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why the title The Strait Line?

Why in the world is this blog called The Strait Line? A tribute to heterosexuality? Celebrating the division of two large bodies of water by a small water passage connecting the two? A comment on John McCain? A simple play on my name, T.M. Strait?

The last is probably closest, but it is not my play. This is the name of the newsletter that my Dad used as a high school Principal. This was in the 60s through the 80s at Bridgeport High School in Bridgeport, Michigan. Not only was a Principal, but he was the Principal of MY high school. Yes, that's right. I was a Principal's kid.

Was it hard to be the Principal's kid? Not really. Because he was an extraordinarily good one. Caring, concerned, devoted to his school, he endured with a longer tenure than almost anybody in the state. He was liked AND respected. A leader in the philosophy of team teaching, an early user of computer technology, he led our blue collar school to excel in academics and in extracurricular activities such as band, drama and literary events. He was not a remote presence, either. He taught one math class for much of the time while he was Principal, just to keep his hand in the game and not forget what education was really all about. He taught me and those who were lucky enough to be a part of his life, the value of hard work, of humanitarian ethics, of the joy of learning.

My Dad will turn 87 this June 29th. He still lives in Michigan, and we are going to see him in about nine days, just in time for Father's Day. I look forward to it. I love him and feel blessed that he is a part of my life, and the life of Alison and my boys.

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to your Dad!! My Dad was born on June 23. Dani and I used to drive to IL and celebrate his birthday and Father's Day. Lots of wonderful memories. I adored my Dad. He was everything to me!! I understand the love a child can have for their father. In my case, I was named after my Dad and yes, I was "Daddy's Girl".......Loved it all!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete