Friday, May 14, 2010

Oil's Not Well in the Gulf

How devastating is the oil spill in the Gulf? Will it "magically dissipate" in the vast ocean per Rushy Limbaugh? Will it permanently end the Gulf as we know it, destroying coral reefs, fishing industries and coastlines? I imagine it will end up somewhere in between, although the longer the leak continues, the more it will confirm the worries of the second question.

I'm not an environmental scientist (although my son is). I know there have been other serious spills, in addition to the Exxon Valdez. But this seems particularly onerous to me. I think we'll be seeing effects of this for many years to come. I'm concerned not just for the coastline, but what it is doing to the ecology of the Gulf as a whole, not to mention the compounding effect of the chemical dispersants being used.

Whatever the impact, I think all political sides can agree that this is not a good thing. This is a particularly difficult conundrum for conservatives. You either have to advocate we stop drilling in these spots where such devastation can take place when something goes wrong, or you have to support increased government regulation and oversight to prevent this from ever occurring again. Watching the cartoon style avoidance of responsibility at the recent Congressional hearing should convince even the most stalwart corporatist that regulation is indispensable.

The government has it's share of blame, but that's because of it's inability to regulate, it's caving to corporate donors, it's deferral in the simplest fundamentals of oversight. But make no mistake where the vast majority of responsibility lies. This country was run by two oil executives for eight years. Congress has been rendered ineffective by a combination of Republican extremists and Blue Dog Democrats willing to sell their soul to the highest corporate bidder. Anybody who thinks progressives control our government paid absolutely no attention to the health care debate.

All this fuss for a fungible fuel source that will not help us domestically, goes into a big global pot, increasing the oil supply by the tiniest of fractions. We need to concentrate on the technologies of the future, to help make America independent, proud, and leading the world once again to a brighter tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Tom I seen in1957 the 1st time i dont true remember of it just a 8mm movie where I’m playing it an my mother about 8 month pregnant with my younger brother, Tom I was dyslexic so e xpect any grand writing for me born with it can’t cure it but you do overcome it by rewiring your brain anyways back to the Gulf of Mexico my grandfather moved there in 53 and about every year we would go down to see them I can remember when Horse you crabs where everywhere and now you don’t see any yeah the oil spill really made a mess are used to see shrimping boat all the time I see none anymore it don’t even look very safe to walk into which is sad are used to eat oysters most of them came from Florida’s panhandle, they taste like they once did my 2 cents.
    Chris A Williams

    ReplyDelete