Friday, December 31, 2021

The Strait New Year's Eve Rundown


 Huzzah!

I have been busy with my comic book project, but please - I have not abandoned my blog, and I hope to be back to at least two to three posts a week!

The year was not without its down notes, but it had many positives as well.

The best political news?

The victories of Rafael Warnock and Jon Ossoff in their Georgia runoffs were a real highlight. They enabled the passage of some legislation and helped the selection of new judges and cabinet members not to be logjammed. Senator Warnock is an eloquent and persuasive speaker, and he is working his heart out to help pass much-needed Voter's Rights legislation.

The passage of the physical infrastructure may not seem that romantic right now, but it will help this country move forward into the 21st Century.  

2021 was also the year that we saw the end of the Trump administration. He was the worst President in American history and definitely the least suited for it, intellectually and emotionally. He only cared about himself. Whatever problems Biden has, it does not come from a lack of effort or caring.

The worst political news?

Even though Trump is out of office, his poisoning of American democracy continues. What most depresses me is those I know who still cling to this awful man and believe his lies about the 2020 election. I have never seen such spoiled brat squallering in all my life.

Like the Build Back Better Act, efforts at meaningful and transformative legislation continue to be stymied by two Democratic Senators, Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema. In addition, we are again dealing with the fact that individual parts of the Bill are VERY popular. Yet, the way our politics are constructed is skewed so that Republicans and lobbyists have outsize influence.

One of the most essential parts of Build Back Better is the climate components. Our weather is getting weirder and more dangerous, but that has not convinced enough people to make it our top priority.

The best TV program?

Ted Lasso, hands down. Seriously, hands down,  You don't use them in soccer.

Right now, Yellowjackets from Showtime has been a really wild ride, centered on a young women's soccer team whose plane crashes in Northern Ontario. It shifts between them trying to survive the 90s crash and on a few survivors in the present day. In some ways, it reminds me of my novel, History of the Trap.*

Ghosts from CBS is one of the funniest broadcast network shows I've seen in a while. It's based on a BBC show, and we hope to see that soon.

The worst TV program?

Anything on Fox News.

The best movie?

Look, I'm a superhero fan. So chill your artsy-fartsy heart. The best movie I've seen this year is Spider-Man: Far From Home. It's one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen.

But I've only seen about three movies from the theatre this year.

We've seen a number from our streaming services. The best include Judas and the Black Messiah, A Quiet Place 2, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

The worst movie?

The Woman in the Window, based on a novel by A.J. Finn. It is customary to be disappointed by a movie based on a book, but this was extra-special in missing the feel of the book by a country mile.

The best sports moment of the year?

MICHIGAN BEAT OHIO STATE!!!

MICHIGAN BEAT OHIO STATE!!!

MICHIGAN BEAT OHIO STATE!!!

Did I say of the year? How about of the CENTURY!!!

Well, at least until next year.

The worst sports moment?

Aaron Rodgers lying about being vaccinated.

For me, the year has been pretty darn good. I retired from accounting, and I think 2022 will be the year I become a grandfather. Benjamin is doing well in school and is a delicate, sensitive, and caring young man. Alison doesn't mind me being home more and is taking up crocheting.

COVID-19 continues to be a challenge, but my family is vaccinated and boosted. Omicron will be almost universal, but at least we are prepared for it. It hurts to see so many around here not take special care to protect themself and others.


I will celebrate New Year's Eve with family, serving homemade pizzas.  

And yes, this year there will be a football game. What can I say? If Georgia was playing anybody else...

But they're not.

So...

GO BLUE!!!






1 comment:

  1. We love Ghosts! We tried it because of your recommendation on another one of your blog posts.
    That sounds like a great New Year's Eve! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete