Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Phase Five Begins

 


Yes. My comic book project continues. I know. It's been a long time. It's taking a lot of time and concentration. But I'm finally on Phase Five, which is quite far along.  I'm refining what I want my core collection to be, the ones I retain after the mass sale.

The comic above is fairly recent and is the first issue introducing Naomi, whose origins and powers bear some similarity to Superman. A CW show about her started two weeks ago, and it's pretty good. It's produced by the outstanding Director and Creator, Ava DuVernay (she made one of my favorite movies, Selma, and the Oscar-nominated Documentary, 13th). I'm enjoying the program, despite its only 4.0 rating on IMDb.*

I've had to hold this comic book out of my mass sale because its value is hard to figure out.   It's been published since my August 2021 guidebook, and values from other internet sources have been all over the map. I have about a half dozen comics in this position.

-------------------------------

The numbers of COVID cases in the two counties, Ware and Pierce, where I spend my time, have skyrocketed to their highest levels. Even people who have behaved reasonably throughout this have come down with the Omicron variant. My immediate family has escaped it to this point, but there is no guarantee that will continue. Public schools around here have been terribly lax, and a good number of the new cases I know about come from them.

And as the cases rise in our area, the percentage of mask wearers is plummeting. Outside of some retail personnel, it looks to me like only 5 to 10% of people are wearing masks.

----------------------------

It is clear to me that Democrats have given up on doing anything to protect schools. The public polling is all against them, and they don't have the courage to challenge it.

I don't want schools to be shut down,  But to do that, you have t have teachers and as many students as possible vaccinated. In addition, you have to require mask-wearing.

But a significant minority won't allow that. They want schools open. They want little or no precautions taken.

I get it. Schools are not about education. It's about warehousing kids so you can go to work, sort of free daycare.

The hard truth is that many are prioritizing their ability to go to work over the safety of children and the community.

Again, I don't want schools closed. I want precautions taken. But even that seems a step too far for many.

------------------------

I was ecstatic to see Georgia beat Alabama in the National Championship. Their great underdog quarterback, Stetson Bennett III, comes for our town of Blackshear - indeed, his family is in our neighborhood. I don't know them, but Alison has at least a passing acquaintance with the family. They are good people, and his emergence is one of the best sports stories of recent times.

I was disappointed that it was not Michigan beating Alabama for the championship, but that did not take away from their extraordinary season. First, starting unranked and then finishing Number 3 in the nation! Then, beating Ohio State! Finally, winning the Big Ten Championship! Awesome year!

To my former co-worker, a big Bama fan- be patient. You'll most likely be back next year. The Wolverines? I hope not, but it may be another 25 to 30 years in the wilderness. 

--------------------------------

Well, I guess I better get back to my comic project. The sooner I finish, the sooner I can get started on something else!

Occasionally yours,

T. M. Strait



*there is a large contingent of right-wingers, particularly right-wing comic book fans, who swarm Imdb and downgrade any show that dares to be diverse.  They especially hate what they call SJWs (Social Justice Warriors), a concept that  I see as a positive and this group sees as a negative.  To fully address it here would require tripling the word count of this post.  I did address it in other posts and will address it more in the future.









No comments:

Post a Comment