Wednesday, March 1, 2023

All Kinds of Storytelling


 


I love storytelling. All kinds, all forms.

I read. Classics, history, biography, science fiction, fantasy, mysteries, thrillers. Just to name a few. In addition, I read comic books, graphic novels, magazines, current events, and blogs.

I watch. TV and movies. I don't binge hard - seeing full seasons in a day or two. But I slow binge and see a variety of stuff. I see an episode or two with Alison on most evenings. Recently we finished Season 4 of Orville, and when that was done, we saw the first season of Mayfair Witches (based on the Anne Rice books). Last night we started House of the Dragons, the Game of Thrones prequel. And, yes, I've read the book the series is based on, Fire and Blood, by George R R Martin.

I watch an episode of something after Alison goes to bed (she likes to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep, and it's difficult for me to sleep much more than 5 or 6). I've started Station Eleven, a series dealing with the aftermath of a virus that wipes out most of the population.

I also watch silent movies. I watch them for about ten or fifteen minutes, so they take me a week or so to see. The most recent I've seen is The Passion of Joan of Arc.

You can laugh at me all you want, but I've picked up watching the soap opera Days of Our Lives. I skip over chunks of it - I don't care which character is schlepping with another character. But the show has fantastical elements - resurrected characters, brainwashing, visits to heaven, purgatory, hell, and a mad scientist. There are whodunits, and I love a good mystery.

I perform. I've done a hundred or more community theater productions. I love being a Lector and Intercessor at church. Recently, as a lay episcopal minister, I've even been able to do a couple of sermons.

Most special of all, through the magic of the interwebs, I've been able to read stories to my granddaughter. I've also been able to read to children at our local public libraries. 

Someday, I would like to do podcasts and/or audiobooks. I possess the voice and talent - I do not possess the technical skills. Maybe someday I can find somebody to help me with that.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait






No comments:

Post a Comment