Monday, April 8, 2024

Georgia Shoots for a Partial Eclipse

 


It's an omen!

Well, not really. It's an astrological event. symbolic of ... science.

It's not the Rapture, a theological construct less than 200 years old.

It's not a sign of the end times. It's something that has been set to happen at this time because, based on the movement of the sun and the moon and the earth, this is a scientific inevitability.

If it was truly supernatural in origin, you would hear the scientists say, "Oh, no! This wasn't supposed to happen right now! It defies the known orbits and movements of these celestial bodies!"

And...no one is saying that.

So, sorry. It briefly darkens the Ark Museum. It might pass over a couple of towns named Nineveh. No one is being raptured off the planet.

It is no more God-led than the recent earthquake centered near Trump's New Jersey golf course.

Will I be looking up at the eclipse when it passes this afternoon? No, mostly because I don't have the right equipment to do it. I have seen eclipses before and have not been particularly overwhelmed by them.  

From what I read, the eclipse in South Georgia will be about 70%. That may be enough to confuse some animals, but I'm not sure what we'll see without the right equipment. The best time estimate for peak coverage is around 3 PM.

I'll be home. I'll look to see if the yard gets any darker. Mostly if I see something, it will be via television.

I definitely will not look directly at it. I'm not stupid. I'm not Donald Trump.





No comments:

Post a Comment