Thursday, August 22, 2024

That's My Dad!

 


Sometimes, there are moments that seer one's soul and are etched there forever.

One such moment is watching Minnesota Governor Tim Walz's children react to his rousing acceptance speech. The open love and joy of that family are truly special, and I will never forget it.

Tim Walz is a once-in-a-generation political figure. No, not just political. He represents the very best of the fabric of American life.

He is a coach and public school teacher and has served in the military for 24 years. He has also served as a congressional representative and governor. That's great, but his best achievement is being a loving father and good neighbor.

More than any figure of my lifetime, he represents progressive politics' true nature and power. I love Bernie Sanders. I love AOC. But nobody, and I mean NOBODY, articulates it better than Coach Walz.

There were so many great things he said in his brief but effective speech (or, as he calls it, a pep talk) that it's hard to select just one.

Nevertheless, this one sticks out to me -


"While other states were banning books from their schools, we were banishing hunger from ours," said Gov. Tim Walz, the next Vice-President of the United States.


When his 17-yrar-old-boy jumped up and cried and shouted "That's my Dad!" it was a riveting, galvanizing moment. I still turn into a puddle thinking about it. Such love! Such joy! What family bonds!

And the Midwest Dad thing? It's real.

How do I know it's real?

Because I had a Midwest Dad.

No, they aren't clones. But they're close enough to bring tears to my eyes. Close enough that it almost brings me to my knees as I remember.

My Dad was a public school educator, a math teacher, and then a high school principal. He was kind and giving, dedicated to hard work for the benefit of those around him. From him, I learned more about what it really meant to be a Christian than from anyone else in my life.

I love him. I am grateful for the foundation he gave me, which I have tried to pass on to my other boys. I miss him every day.

Joe Biden made a difficult decision, showing he loved his country more than holding onto power. Kamala Harris demonstrated her incredible intelligence and discernment by picking an incredible talent like Tim Walz.




Special note:

For those who are inclined to make fun of Gus Walz, I have an important statement -

Get off my feed. Get away from me. I have no respect for you. I will block you in any way I can. Enough is enough.

I have read he is neurodivergent and may have some learning issues. I don't care - in the sense that whether he has those issues or not, I fully identify with the emotion and love he showed.

Trust me. If it had been my Dad, I would have reacted the same way.


HARRIS/WALZ 2024!!!




8 comments:

  1. Excellent post!! See Gus's heartfelt reaction had me crying!! Such honest love & pride in his family!! Later I learned about Gus's situation. Knowing that touched my heart again as I have a nonverbal autistic great niece (9 years old). Folks like Gus & my niece are such wonderful, loving people!! Yay for the Walz family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Seeing Gus's response filled me with joy and hope!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Tom! YES, YES, YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know that not everyone has a Dad as wonderful as Tim Walz, but I am so grateful that I did!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post. I feel the same. Just reading about Gus has brought tears to my eyes. Thank you again. Love my country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two threads that run through American History. Harris and Walz represent the strength and diversity of this great nation, and guess who represents the exact opposite?

      Delete