Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother of A Weekend and Other Monday Musings


O, what a mother of a weekend, with not one but THREE major events.

First up, we had four great performances of Dearly Beloved at the Ritz Theatre,  We had small audiences, but they were very appreciative, and laughed a good deal.

I had a wardrobe malfunction Saturday night, with one pant leg tucked into my boot, and the other not.  It looked silly, but thankfully fit the character of Dub.  It was a Dub thing to do.  It was just disappointing to me that I did not know that I had done that.  I like to be conscious of every decision I make on the stage.

It has been a great group of actors and crew to work with, and I look forward to this second weekend of performances (Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 8 PM).  If you are in the area and you have not seen it, you owe yourself the trip to see it.  You will have fun and experience a bellyful of laughs.



Speaking of small but appreciative audiences, the events held at the Studio in conjunction with the Steve Bean Arts Festival at the Okefenokee Heritage Center, were sparsely attended as well.  But there in full force were my friends from the Flying Dragon Arts Center.  They put on a fantastic show, displaying the talents of many of their young thespians.  I am very grateful to the Jeffords family, for their support, and for attending and supporting the other events that took place as well.

I am grateful to all those who read in the Writer's presentation, especially Cody Goode and Julianna Lacefield, for their touching tributes to Steve. Grace K Lee, out 86 year old award winning poet, was wonderful in her poetry readings.  I am grateful to the Barbara Griffin and the Purlie Victorious Players for their awesome presentation of some highlights from their play.  I am grateful to Elizabeth Welch and Crystal Simpson for helping with set up and clean up.

Rem Farr had a great display of his books there, and despite the small turnout, sold at least eight books at the event. I'll be honest.  I was disappointed in our other writers for not making a greater effort to have a presence thee.  We have authors with self-published works, but they did not make it a priority to be there.

I spent an incredible amount of time preparing a chapbook highlighting the variety of posts found on The Strait Line.  It of course, got completely ignored, but I am proud I made the effort anyways.  It was my fault, as I got shy about promoting it or pointing it out or even being anywhere near it (I was real busy the whole time I was there).



--------------------------------

And it was also Mother's Day weekend.  I have to apologize to Alison that we did not do more, that there was so much else competing for our time.  But Benjamin did write her a nice poem, and there was a good family dinner Sunday night, shared with Alison's mother as well.

I thought of my own mother as well, and how much she would have liked to have shared in a weekend like this.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait









No comments:

Post a Comment