Saturday, September 11, 2021

The Longest Gap

 


It's been a while.  No posts in August, and this is my first one in September, 11 days in.  Yes, that is 9/11, and although I do solemnly remember those events and the terror we all felt, this post is not about that.

Why have I been gone so long?

First, let me assure you that I am on the planet and well.  Outside of the usual arthritis-related foot pains, my health has been pretty good for a 66-year-old Fatman.

I just lost my passion for writing.  I got tired of tilting at windmills, exhausted trying to find new ways to say the same themes.  The major way I try to get people to connect to the blog, FaceBook, shows my postings to fewer and fewer people, and I'm not going to advertise a blog where I'm not allowed to earn money.

FaceBook itself has become a cesspool of right-wing extremism and misinformation.  My desire to go on FaceBook has become less and less.  COVID-19 hurts; watching the parade of pictures from people who are oblivious to the pandemic, including pictures of unmasked students and teachers, is too depressing for me to handle.  Watching people I know and care about continuing to irrationally embrace Trump and Trumpism wears me to the bone.  It fills me with the sense that we are not going to get out of this.

Global warming, voter suppression, refusal to accept election results, income disparity, religious fanaticism - I needed to take a break from commentary.

I also was trying to see what my days were like without feeling like I had to write something every day. Overall, it wasn't too bad.  I didn't miss writing per see, but it did affect my sense of self-worth.  If I'm not a writer, what am I?

I'm proud to be a father and husband.  I receive great joy from my family (including our fleet of pets).  I don't eat horribly, and I exercise some (although I need to make improvements in both regards).

I'm back in community theatre again, singing and dancing (!!!!!!) as Mr. Howell in Gilligan's Island: The Musical.  It seems like an act of insanity, considering the spectacular rise in COVID numbers in our area.  But it's a small cast, and I'm extra cautious, so I have high hopes to make it through without endangering myself or others.  We don't start performing until October 7th, so maybe the numbers will be 

I now have one son in New York, one in California, and one in Milledgeville at Georgia College State University.  Well, at least Alison and I know where to plan vacations.

I have other plans and dreams, but I'll share those later. 

Which implies I will continue my blog, at least at some level.

Sincerely,

T. M. Strait



















2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear from you...you are not alone with your feelings about FB. I almost deactivated my account a few times. I feel we are in a dark time with all the ugliness around us. Please do whatever you need to feel joy again. I have unfriended or unfollowed many people from FB and in real life. At our age, we deserve happiness and peace of mind. You have a gift in writing and acting...keep using your gifts. Take care. I enjoy your blogs! Glad you are one of my dear FB friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear form you! Your friendship and support have been one of the highlights of my writing ventures! I pray that you and your family are weathering the COVID crisis, and that soon we will be able to view it form our rearview mirror. I think I want to continue to write, but strive for ways to promote my writing outside of FaceBook.

    ReplyDelete