Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Though Winds May Blow


 Meet the cast of our upcoming production of "Gilligan's Island The Musical"! Micah Smith (Gilligan), David Butler (Skipper), Tom Strait (Mr. Howell), Niki Spivey (Mrs. Howell), Michelle Lagoueyte (Ginger), Trey Carter (Professor), Megan Hendley (Mary Ann), Danny Godwin (Alien). Directed by Pam Fields and assisted by Cole Hendley.

I've been in a lot of shows.  A hundred or more.  And let me tell you, believe it or not, with just over two weeks to go before opening night, this show is about as far along at this point as any show I've ever been in.  

There have been a good number of plays/musicals that have adapted popular television shows or movies to the stage. Unfortunately, many of them fail to capture the true spirit of the original material.  This one does not fail.  It succeeds remarkably in highlighting the very best of the popular TV show.  The music is spirited and charming, the dialogue is snappy and funny, and you know, as with any production directed by Pam Fields, the dancing will be first-rate and entertaining*.

The cast is stellar.  Just like WACT's The Addams Family, this musical has been cast to perfection.  Each cast member is doing a superlative job in portraying the essence of what makes each character unique and memorable.  Anyone familiar with the 60's tv show will not be disappointed,

It is true that these have been difficult times for this area.  The Delta Variant has been particularly virulent and dangerous here.  The Director has encouraged our small cast to be as safe as we can.  I have worn a mask throughout practices.  I am fully vaccinated, but I am concerned about protecting others - just in case I get an asymptomatic case that I hardly know I have, and inadvertently pass it on to someone who is not vaccinated. I did remove my mask for the picture above, but I had it on both before and after the picture.

It will probably be best to see this play if you are vaccinated.  I encourage you to wear a mask at the performance.  If there is a way to socially distance, please do the best you can.  I don't believe that WACT will place any requirements on attendance, so please note this is just advice from me to you.

THe COVID cases numbers in our area have peaked and are starting to go down a bit. We're not out of the woods by any means.  But there is hope that we'll be in a less dangerous place by the time of the performances, the first of which is Thursday, October 7th.

So, I hope you will be able to come out, to sit back and hear our tale, a tale of a fateful trip, of five passengers and two crew who set sail that day into weather that started getting rough, and gets stranded on an uncharted desert isle - FOREVER!


* it's true.  I am the left shark of the production.  But if anyone can get the best out of my feeble dancing skills, it's Pam Fields.  You can be sure I will do my very best to be my very best.






No comments:

Post a Comment