Wednesday, July 20, 2022

New York State of Mind


Pictured above are Alison and Benjamin.

Welcome to the Catskills!

My middle son, Doug, and his beautiful wife, Paige, moved from the Atlanta suburbs to New York last September.  They have a cabin on several acres in the Catskill mountains.

They have expanded their agricultural interests, including fruit trees and many planted fruits and vegetables.  I was able to swipe some fresh strawberries on the vine.  Tasty!  

Of course, our trip up there was not just to see Doug and Paige, as lovely as they are.  No, there was a little something more.

IT WAS TO SEE MY BRAND NEW GRANDDAUGHTER!


RETTA LOCKETT STRAIT



Two of my three sons, Benjamin and Doug.


I can't show you pictures of her, but trust me, she is gorgeous, the sweetest little baby I ever did see!

Just over three months, she smiles and responds. They sing a song to her about being the littlest wolf in the wolfpack and then sing "A-roo!" Retta will often repeat what they say.  It's a rudimentary imitation, but nevertheless, she is repeating it.  First word Mama and/or Dada?  No, it's a wolf howl!

I was able to read to her.  I'm not entirely sure what she got out of it, BUT I did hold her attention.

They got me a t-shirt that said " I'm not retired...I'm a professional Grandpa!" That is a shirt I will wear with great honor and pride!




The pictures that I do have were given to me by Alison.  They are from a nearby park called Pratt Rocks.  

I did not go on that trip.  My knees were still aggravated, and I was unsure how they would respond to the climb.  I took Prednisone, and that helped limit the pain. However, nothing was going to stop me from seeing my granddaughter.

The food was amazing, most prepared by Paige, including Pad Thai Ew and two types of chicken salad; we also had huge bagels (each big enough to feed a family of four) and some delicious ice cream sandwiches from a local dairy store.

It was a wonderful trip; we're already plotting how to get back there soon.  

I really am looking forward to being part of my granddaughter's life.

Thank you, Doug & Paige, for inviting us up there!

See y'all again soon!
 











No comments:

Post a Comment