Monday, November 7, 2022

Unextemporaneous Speaking

 I'm going to speak at the Library today. This will be a follow-up to last August's speech defending the rainbow display at the Library.

Yesterday, I spoke as part of the church's stewardship campaign. I talked extemporaneously, very unusual for me, to see if I could pull it out. I had a few notes but basically spoke off the cuff. It was scary because I usually like to plan out every word. But nevertheless, the speech was successful. People laughed "(in the right places), and they listened, they 'got' the message and seemed to enjoy it.

The main speaker for our side at the library meeting is Ken Taft. He is a lawyer who attends our church. The other side has upwards of 14 speakers. I told Ken how it might affect his speech if they talked about things his planned speech might not cover. He said he would adjust his speech accordingly, answering whatever challenges they may have brought up. I'm not sure I could do that. Well, he's a lawyer used to the back and forth of the courtroom - I'm an actor used to having his lines written out.

I would rather try to speak extemporaneously again, but I only have one minute to speak. That's not much time. So, unfortunately, I probably shoulda oughta write it out, partly to ensure I could be somewhere around the time limit.

Anyhoo....here's my first draft.

At August's local board meeting, I spoke about how the Library is for everyone...every single person. In that regard, I am grateful for the Libraries are for Everyone mural in the entryway.

In the spirit of Libraries are for Everyone, I want to encourage everyone to come. Come visit the Library. 

If you see a book you don't like, don't take it out  If you see a book you like, take it out  If you can't find the book you're looking for, ask the library staff - they can find it for you, and even check to see if they can get it from another library and bring it here for you.

If you see a book club you don't like, don't join it. If you see a book club you like, join it. If you want to start a new book club, ask the library staff, and they can help you create a new one.

Everyone here has an equal right to the Library's resources. But no one here has the right to base their participation on the exclusion of other people - the people themselves, their books, their clubs, or their displays. Because the Library is for everyone. Every. Single. Person.


Thank you for your patience,  I think I've got it down to one minute and five seconds.  Hopefully, they won't give me the hook for that.

And yes, I had to do a lot of editing.  There is so much to say and so little time to say it.  I'm sorry for all the stuff I didn't get to say, but on the bright side, we have eleven speakers.






No comments:

Post a Comment