Thursday, April 27, 2023

My Weekly Reading


 Today is my middle son's birthday. Douglas Redwine Strait is 39 years old today! He is an environmental scientist and lives in the Catskill Mountains. More importantly, he is an amazing human being, kind and caring, warm and generous.  

He is also a devoted father and a wonderful husband. He and his partner Paige are supportive and loving.

He is raising my one and only grandchild, Retta Lockett Strait. The parents don't want social media pictures of her, which seems very wise given today's environment. So I can't show you what she looks like. Trust me - she is beautiful, intelligent, sweet-tempered, curious, and loving.

Our recent two-week visit with them was a highlight of my life. Even though I wasn't a Grandpa until age 66, Retta was worth the wait!

The thing I look forward to the most (besides plotting the next trip to see her) is being able to read to her through the magic of Facebook Messenger (or whatever it's called).  

I am planning a reading tonight, hopefully from the book pictured above. We have books where I have a copy, and she can look at a copy at home.

There is so much I am struggling against. The cruel war on the library and the LGBTQ community here is disturbing and exhausting. The fact that we are still fighting these battles in 2023 is depressing.  

I am trying to improve my physical condition, and it's difficult. It's vital that I check my progress each day, but it can be very discouraging, as it was today.

I'm used to quitting or withdrawing when I feel rejected, but as difficult as it is, I can no longer afford to quit when I get negative news.

But enough of that.

Tonight I get to read to my Granddaughter!

Huzzah!


T. M. Strait





No comments:

Post a Comment