Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Wandering Dunes


 Are those dunes? Eh, maybe.

It's the world-famous Jekyll Island, semi-exclusive off the coast of Southeast Georgia. Well, semi-exclusive in that it requires an $8 day pass to get on the island. We go there once every few years, nowhere as often as we go to St. Simon's Island.

Think Mackinaw Island, but with cars. And bars. Men from Mars? Probably not, but I can't rule it out.


You really want dunes? Try Sleeping Bear Dunes in Northern Michigan, by Lake Michigan.

We'd go there when I was a kid. Boy, it was exhausting getting up and down them! They are also well known for dune buggy rides. After going up and down a couple, I was certainly in favor of that mode of transportation.


Ok, this is if you really REALLY want dunes! Try the Sahara. They went for miles, and they got camels and bedouins.  

I had trouble getting up the Sleeping Bear Dunes, so I will give these a hard pass. I'll see them in the movies or National Geographic specials.

Oh, my goodness. Just looking at that makes me thirsty.

Pardon me while I go to the oasis.

Wanderingly yours,

T. M. Strait


No comments:

Post a Comment