Thursday, July 11, 2024

Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies of the 20th Century!!! Part 1 No. 100 - 94


 I received this issue of Remind, or what Alison calls "my old people magazine," which ranks the top 100 Science Fiction movies of the 20th century.

Remind does have many pop culture stories, focusing primarily on the 1950s through the 1990s, although there are some references to earlier decades  Each issue focuses on different topics, such as country music, westerns, where are they now issues, and much more  I enjoy it, as I love pop history. They also have puzzles and a monthly guide as to what's on TCM (Turner Classic Movies).

I thought it would be fun to see the movies on the list in reverse order and see what I thought of them. The magazine's ranking of the movies is not mine.  

I won't go into detailed reviews, but I will share the IMDb ranking and my own on a 1 to 10 scale.

100)  


Attack of the Crab Monsters

Year: 1957  IMDb: 4.9 Tom: 5  Had I seen before? No   Service found on: Prime

This is a Roger Corman film, a much revered B movie director. Scientists are stranded on an island battling crab monsters who can somehow absorb people's minds when they eat them. One of those stranded on the island is a scientist played by Russell Johnson, who is most known for being stranded on a different island—as the Professor on Gilligan's Island.

99)


The Brother From Another Planet

Year: 1984  IMDb: 6.7 Tom: 6  Had I seen before?   Yes  Service found on: AMC+

From a very good director, John Sayles, known for historical and social commentary, Joe Morton, pictured above, is an alien who lands on Earth to escape a space bounty hunter. He blends into Harlem and gets to know many people, good and bad. He can't talk and looks like a human, except for his really funky-looking three-toed feet. I liked it, although some parts were kind of arty.

98)


Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Year: 1988  IMDb: 6.2 Tom: 6  Had I seen before? No    Service found on:  Roku

I had very low expectations for this movie.  The PG-13 rating made it less gory or exploitative than I thought it would.  The plot is extremely silly—these clowns are evil but not quite as sinister as in later movies.  Is it a gem? No.  But I did appreciate the comedic touches.

97)



The Running Man


Year: 1987  IMDb: 6.6 Tom: 7 Had I seen before?   Yes  Service found on:  Paramount+

Stephen King story?  Yes, please.  Arnold Schwarzenegg ?  Sure!   Richard Daws ?  Oh, my!   It's not a perfect story adaption, but it's fun enough.  Dystopian society disposes of some of its dissidents by a game show that leaves no survivors (unbeknownst to the general public).  

96)



Year: 1963  IMDb: 6.1 Tom: 7 Had I seen before?  Yes  Service found on:  Roku

Set in Britain, a meteor shower brings in carnivorous planta, and the identical shower blinds most people on Earth.   And these plants can walk around.   You can see how being blind would be a disadvantage.   The lead, Howard Keel, underwent eye surgery just before the storm, so his eyes were covered in bandages. In a scene later borrowed by The Walking Dead, he finds devastation everywhere when he removes the bandages and leaves his hospital room.   A handful of survivors struggle to find a safe place.  The movie's wrap-up is out of the germ-style playbook of War of the Worlds, but otherwise a pretty darn good movie!

95)


Phase IV


Year: 1974  IMDb: 6.4 Tom: 5 Had I seen before?  No   Service found on:  Kanopy

Ants become super-intelligent.   I forget why.   Mainly focused on three characters, who seem outmatched by the ants.   Ends with a relationship that seems a little inappropriate, but I guess fewer people questioned it at the time.

94)


Invaders From Mars

Year: 1953  IMDb: 6.2 Tom: 7 Had I seen before?   Yes  Service found on:  Tubi

Oh, my god!  I loved the start of this movie!  Aliens possessing people!  That's my wheelhouse!   A young boy sees a spacecraft land and has trouble getting his parents to believe him.   Eventually, when the father checks it out, he returns...not himself.   Despite the wooden acting, I was ready to go to 8 or 9 on this movie.   But ... it kinda dissipates itself as it goes.  Films used to get cooperation from the military, and we get to see extended footage of tanks and stuff.  Could have done without that.   But whoo!   What a start!


More posts later to cover more of the list!

What's coming up next?

Well, I'll give you a clue.   It stars Steve McQueen!







No comments:

Post a Comment