Saturday, July 9, 2011

Jekyll Island Through Time and Space










Jekyll Island is not named after the cartoon crow.




























Jekyll Island, a small island near Brunswick, has been an interesting place to visit for our family for the past decade or so. We visited there with my parents when Benjamin was a Toddler. We had gone for a Christmas dinner at the Jekyll Island Country Club, as a Christmas dinner for my work. Then we stayed the weekend with my parents.




Three of the pictures above are from a trip taken two years ago with Benjamin's good friend Grant. They visited the Sea Turtle Center and spent some time on the beach.




Our most recent trip was to visit our friends, the Becks. They had rented a house with a pool and was close to the ocean. The picture in the top upper left is of Benjamin and the two Beck girls, Elizabeth and Emily, at a mini-golf place on the island. They look like they're posing for a movie poster!




An interesting aside: Although I have done putt-putt many times, I have never played regular golf. Not once. Not even one hole.

1 comment:

  1. I have been challenged to explain why I find Jekyll Island interesting.

    Well, first, it is relatively close to where we live. That makes more interesting than say, Catalina.

    You have to pay five dollars just to get on the island. That's kind of interesting.

    It is significantly less developed than nearby St. Simons. There are pristine beaches, untuched marshes and woodlands. There is the Sea Turtle Research Center and 4H has a large property to help teach kids about the environment.

    It is also where some of our most interesting friends go and stay for their vacations. I also thought it might have had mountain lions, but I think I was wrong about that.

    T.M. Strait

    ReplyDelete