Monday, April 27, 2015

Sketchy Weekend and Other Monday Musings



Retro Comic con!

Yes, I finally got my son to a comic book convention!

It was a small convention that took place in Pooler, Georgia, which I think is a suburb of Savannah.  I had seen a few smaller, and I had seen a few bigger, but it was a good introduction to Benjamin.  We brought two of his friends with us, and we had a pretty good time.

The picture above shows the highlight of the experience.  Benjamin got to meet THE major artist of his favorite comic series, Sonic the Hedgehog.  His name is Tracy Yardley! (the exclamation point is what he uses as his signature when he signs his work),  He personally did the sketch that Benjamin is holding in the picture above.

Cosplayers were everywhere.  This is the relatively new phenomenon of dressing up as characters from various popular series (television, movies, comics, amine, video, etc,).  I think it started out as something done at more narrow focused conventions, such as Star Trek, then filtered into broader conventions like Dragon Con in Atlanta, and now is the central part of any entertainment themed convention.

Besides the joy of seeing my son attending, I go because it's a chance to meet artists and creators, and for the comic books I can find.  I was pleasantly surprised that there were a good number of vendors there selling older comics.  It had been a very long time since I had seen so many in one place.

Many of them were too rich for my blood.  One man had a some really, really good older comics in great condition.  His prices were awfully high, which made sense with the condition that the comics were in, but were way outside what I felt comfortable in paying.  I primarily get back issues of Superman and related titles, but I am perfectly happy with reading copies.  I found one that would have been a very expensive comic if it hadn't been for the little bits on the top that had been chewed off by a rat.

I saw a copy of the first The Man From U.N.C.L.E. comic book, and thought it was for $50,  With the my great love for that show, and the movie coming up, I thought that might be a great purchase.  It was high, but I it would be real treasure, and maybe undervalued.  I asked for a closer look and found it was actually $150,  Yikes!  I politely made noises that I might consider it, and then got the hell out of Dodge.

----------------------------------------------

The final edit of History of the Trap is complete.  I could mess with it for the rest of the year, and still have things to tinker with, but it's time to s____ or get off the pot.  I'm scared as all get out, but I need to put it out there.  I may track a dual route, doing both self-publishing and still follow up with a broader publisher.

------------------------------

I am also trying to finish up Crowley Stories, but I am having to get back into it, so that I can pathway the best way to bring it to a conclusion.  I have charted and reviewed the first 23 of the 34 stories, and have listed off over 100 characters.  There is some tightening and elimination of duplication to do, but for the most part, I make no apologies for this.  Each story focuses on a small group of people, and many characters are in several stories.  This is not a mistake.  This is what I want to present.  Slice of life stories that show many aspects of a small town.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait





No comments:

Post a Comment