Monday, April 20, 2015

Super Chill Weekend and Other Monday Musings

Ellie's got the right idea of what to do with the first post-tax season weekend.

There was a walk planned, as you can see by the leash, but there was nothing like crashing on the pillow and getting forty winks. Ellie did what I should have done with this weekend.  I came close at times, but didn't quite achieve her blessed nirvana.

I had a rehearsal on Thursday night for Dearly Beloved.  It was a good rehearsal, but showed clearly I needed to spend some more time learning lines.  I have done that this weekend, at least enough to be dangerous.  Starting tonight, we cannot call for lines.  This should be interesting.

I got back into the fiction zone, completing a brand new Crowley story.  That felt really good.  I'm going to need to spend some time re-reading and working up a character bible.  Can't have my blonds turning into redheads.

I started a story I put exclusively on Wattpad.  It's called The Awakening: Mail Order Bridezilla, and is my attempt at the genre of Christian Romance.  It should be quite an interesting journey, and if you would like to read it, or many of my other works, long and short, carefully and conveniently laid out, than you should consider joining Wattpad and becoming a follower of  TomStrait.


We took a mini-trip to Brunswick and St. Simons, all of about six hours.  Between the three of us, we spent almost $100 there, but came away with a good haul of books and magazines.  I love trips to the bookstore.  I could spend hours in them, and also libraries.  I just get this overwhelming feeling that I am home, and hat I am where I belong.  I did look up Books-A-Million, the store I visited, on my smarty phone, curious as to who owned them (some group out of Birmingham, Alabama), and found that one survey ranked them the worst employer of 2014 (low pay, crappy hours, high pressure bosses, pay based in part on how many magazine subscriptions you can push on people).  Sigh.  Sometimes it's hard to boycott all the bad businesses because there are so many of them.

Speaking of boycotts, I unfriended and blocked only my second person ever on Facebook.  I don;t regret it, as the person was referring to a day of silent protest in schools over LGBT bullying as "National Sodomite Day".  That was offensive enough, but he had said many other things over time, and it was the last straw I needed to go ahead and pull the exit button.  I have a friend who did not eliminate him right off, to see how he would react.  It wasn't good, attacking me as intolerant, making fun of my name, Strait, in light of my "gay" views, and referring to me as a "Michigan transplant", as if someone who has only lived in Georgia since 1978 and whose children and spouse are native Georgians, has no right to a view in this state.  The most horrible realization about him is that when he spouts his terrible, intolerant views, he actually gets people supporting him.  He is not alone in his unreasoning, vile hatred.  On the other hand, my post saying I was unfriending him and why, received as many likes and support as anything I've ever done.

I tried to ask my Great Unanswered Question* again, this time directing it to specific people, hoping for an answer this time, to no such luck.  Some resented that they had been called out.  Others asked why I thought they hated Obamacare, and then listed reasons why they hated it.  Others complained that it was not their responsibility to solve the problems of the world.  Well, too bad so sad.  If you are going to ask for repeal of Obamacare and rail against it, and then not offer a plan to replace it that insures as many or more people, then you are telling me that you have no moral compass and no ability to participate in the great Democratic experiment.  You have to get informed.  You have to care.  You can't make things worse without any plans to make things better.

So as irritated as my conservative friends get, I will not remove the lamp.  I will keep it hanging out until they tell me they have a plan, or until they concede to me that they simply don't care about anyone's health care access but their own.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait


What plan do you have to replace Obamacare  that will insure as many or more people?




No comments:

Post a Comment