Thursday, July 2, 2015

What a Night for an Auto da Whee!



Some photographs fit, even when they're low res and hazy, because that's just like my memories.

There was a time in  this country when drive in movie theatres dotted the landscape.  They were a great way to escape, in a world without DVRs and IMAX and the internet and instant videos.  Once darkness fell, you could be entertained for hours.

When we were little, and not really fit to sit in a regular movie theatre, my parents would pile us in a station wagon and we would go to the drive in theatre.  The one pictured above was one just one of those that could be found in our area.

We would arrive before it got dark, because we knew this about the movie start time - it would be when it got dark.  Whatever time that was, that was when it would start.  so you would arrive early and wait.

But waiting was not done by just sitting in your car.  The Auto Theatre had a playground up front, and you would go up and swing and play, all the way up to the time of the movie start.

They would have raffles and giveaways.  My parents won one once.  I remember it well because my parents were so excited because they had not ever won anything before.  Their prize?  Two lawn chairs.  Don't laugh!  They were great lawn chairs, and I remember us using them for years afterward.

The movies were always a mixed bag.  The first feature was usually directed more at the family, and the second would be more directed at the adults.  This may be a mashup, but I swear I remember one combination being Snow White and the Three Stooges, followed by The Young Doctors.

There would be a significant intermission between the two features.  They might show a cartoon, or previews, but mostly they would promote the snack bar, with jolly music and pictures of delicious treats. The snack bar was like a mini-restaurant, serving hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, sodas, popcorn, cotton candy, all kinds of sweets.  Nobody starved at the Drive In.

Sometimes the second feature might be a little risque for the children.  Nothing that would hardly bump into PG or PG-13 territory nowadays, but back then it was quite exciting.  I remember a Matt Helms Dean Martin spy movie, that was having a scene involving a partial strip tease, that my Mom told me to put my head down and close my eyes.  Now, often in those second features, my sister and I were just playing in the back, not focused at all on the movie, so I was very grateful when my mother let me know when not to watch, so that I knew WHEN I should watch.  Thanks, Mom!

The drive ins would occasionally have marathons, involving three to five movies, that would run almost until daylight.  Often they were themed. like all horror movies, or all beach movies.  I can't recall ever going to one, but it sure sounded fun.

Later, as a  teenager who could drive, and on into my early college years, drive ins became something that I would go to with a date rather than the family.  You would park in the back, and bring blankets and....well, sometimes I didn't catch all of the movies.  There was a double header featuring Race With the Devil (starring Peter Fonda) and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.  What I saw seemed pretty good, so someday I may have to rent or stream them, and see what I've missed.


There still exists a Drive In at the outskirts of our area, called the Jesup Drive In.  At least I think they still exist - we don't ever hear what they have or when they're open.  I miss newspapers and their big movie ads.  For me, the internet information is just not the same.

Other than never hearing about it, I'm not sure why we don't go.  Yes, it's a little bit far for us.  Yes, lifestyles seem a bit busier now, and hard to think of a whole evening in your car.  There are no more playgrounds, and most regular movie theaters now have a snack bar just as grand.  We get IMAX and 3D and multiple screens and on and on, not to mention all the home choices we have now.

But sometimes I miss it.  I miss the way things used to be.

Maybe I should struggle with the google and see what they have playing.

Or not.  Life does move on, doesn't it?

Oh, well.

At least I have my memories.





1 comment:

  1. You don’t go because it’s too darned hot and humid...and those mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete