Monday, February 29, 2016

Cruel Intentions Monday Musings

How is this cruel?  Other than the usual I-have-go-to-work blues?

It's cruel to me because I'm about to list comments that would ALL generate response if I put them individually on social media rather than post them here.  It's like I'm deliberately putting myself in a vacuum. Oh, well.  No plan is perfect.


The Oscars

Since the DVR, I have learned to speed watch the show, so there may be some things I missed.  Chris Rock was a great host, and his commentary was spot on, and did not go over the top.  Lady Gaga's rendition of her nominated song was a show highlight.  The In Memoriam segment is always overwhelming - you don't realize how many we've lost until they run through it.

A number of films came up winners, with Mad Max winning the most, thanks to the technical craft awards.  I highly enjoyed Leonardo DiCapria's speech for his Best Actor win.  I don't mind them using their speeches to make a political statement, especially when it's for something as incredibly important as recognizing global warming.  We're running out of time, folks.  Whatever can be done to focus our attention, I'm all for.

Spotlight may be a good movie, it may even be a great one.  But it's most definitely NOT a ripping good yarn.  It's something that could easily be seen from the home, and the kind of movie that is often made directly for HBO. For my money, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the best picture of the year.  It wasn't even nominated.

Politics

Yep.  No doubt about it.  Bernie got his ass handed to him in South Carolina.  The worst part of it is he has been unable to add significant numbers of African-American voters to his coalition.  I think he could gain them in time, but I'm not sure there is enough time.  Certainly not by Super Tuesday.

But this is a marathon and not a sprint.  Clinton is not always an effective campaigner, particularly when she's in front.  And I feel Bernie's message is too vital not to take all the way to the convention.

So, yes, absolutely.  I'm still feeling the Bern.

There's not enough time this morning to say all the disgusting things I'm feeling about Trump.  I just wish my Republican friends who know enough to be reviled by him will stay firm and prevail against unleashing this monster upon us all.

The Music Man

This is the beginning of Hell Week, where there are long rehearsals and then performances every night through Saturday topped with a Sunday matinee.  This is on top of a hellacious work week, with a slew of tax deadlines to cope with.  It will make one question one's sanity is choosing to do theatre.

But sometimes, when I'm front of an audience, and I can feel them respond and react, it makes it all worthwhile.  I love applause and appreciation, and that sure don't happen in accounting.

And it's going to be a delight to be onstage again with my son, Benjamin.  He has multiple characters, solo singing lines, and an incredible dance scene.  Me?  I try to be funny and not trip too badly over the furniture.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait




No comments:

Post a Comment