Monday, August 8, 2016

New Computer Monday Musings

We got a new computer!

That's great, in that I have more memory and storage, the whine of the fan and the computer straining to keep up so I can now hear videos better is now gone, and it is faster with the latest version of windows (which will probably be out of date any second now).

It's also a challenge as I adjust to the learning curve it takes to manage the new system, restore old connections, try to divine old passwords, and get my ancient fingers used to a new keyboard.

---------------------------------

Now that I have a new computer, I find my time available to do anything on it reduced.  I will have to increase my work time and concentration as this is the month for an outside audit, plus all the usual time for regular clients; not to mention the tax returns that continue to stagger (differing deadlines and extensions make tax returns a year round thing).

----------------------------------

I'm also in a play again, this time an Agatha Christie murder mystery play,And Then There Were None. My part is small,but at least I was cast, unlike what happened to me in Beverly Hillbillies, where I got nothing, not getting cast for the first time in close to three decades.  Maybe I'm getting too old.  Or maybe I'm losing it.  Either way, I might oughta make community theater a smaller part of the mix.

--------------------------------

What does this mean to you, my faithful Strait Liner?  It may make August a lighter month than usual, as I may be needing to get to work earlier than normal, and coming home later than normal due to play practice.

------------------------

I had resumed a stricter diet regimen, but last week was not good, and I gained anyways.  Part of it was getting home later for supper.  I'll have to learn to make further adjustments, and hopefully won't have as many weeks as bad as last one.

----------------

It's also been more difficult to exercise.  It's not just the time, it's also the heat and gnats.  It's hard to want to go out and walk in the face of that.  Maybe I should start chasing Pokemon.

--------------------------

There was another WayGreen Saturday.  The crowd was down and the heat was up.  I didn't sell any writings, but I did here from some people who had read History of the Trap, and they all said pretty much the same thing- when's the next one in the series coming out?  That was good news!  If they wanted to read more, I must be doing something right!  They may not realize I may be George RR Martin-ing it, as I really need to be able to cut back my accounting job in order to put out a sequel in a few months instead of a few years.

----------------------

And of course, I can only do that if I sell more books.  I tried running a "boost post" ad on Facebook. It cost me $4.54 for a boost running three days.  Out of that, I sold one paperback and one ebook, bringing in a total of  $6.61.  That results in a profit of $2.07.  I'm glad I wasn't in the red, but it's not necessarily numbers that will allow more writing time.

Oh, well.  Rome wasn't built in a day!


Until next time,

T. M. Strait







No comments:

Post a Comment