Monday, August 1, 2016

Back to School For Somebody Monday Musings

\

I know.  It's the first of August and school is starting in Pierce County.  Seems unreal, don't it?  For me growing up, it was the Tuesday after Labor Day.  I have had it explained to me before why they start here in a month where the feel-like temperatures are busting toward 110 or more, but I confess, it's not a reason that I stay grasped to.  Something to do with moving closer to year round schools?  I'm not sure,  But it is really happening, whatever the reason.

Alison is a full time employee of Pierce County Schools, so she has already been working hard to get things ready for the school nutrition program.  The arrival of the students for her means the culmination of a lot of hard prep work, and the beginning of a very busy week this week.

-----------------

I will be going to the funeral today for a very dear church friend, Dr. Ray Eleazar.  He was 91, a retired dentist, and over the years had been a valuable and loving member of our faith community at Grace Episcopal.  He was a big supporter of me in the church - he loved when I was able to do the readings, he recommended me for vestry, and had in the past indicated that I might consider becoming a priest.  I will be at his service, and I will have a reading.  I will miss him.

------------------

We did not go out to the movies this weekend, but we did see Room and The Visit this weekend.  Room was an intense drama about a woman and her son held hostage for years in a one room shed.  How they deal with it provides an emotional roller coaster, made more real and intense by the extraordinary acting.  Brie Larson won an Academy Award for her brilliant portrayal of the mother.  The Visit was a classic horror/thriller, and the director, M. Night Shyamalan recaptured some of the magic and twists he was known for.

--------------------------

Our lawnmowers were finally repaired, so I finished off the back.  It was hot.  I sweated a little, but mostly it was a pain dealing with the gnats that always swarm around me.  Seriously, I don't know everyone around here puts up with it.

-----------------------------

Watching Trump and the people who say they're going to vote for him, is like watching a limbo contest that's taking place in hell.  How low can you go?  Every day, there is another layer revealed of his monstrous behavior, and none of it ever seems to hurt him.  The fact that he's sold his soul to Russia, and is on the financial hook to them, and that he encourages a foreign power to hack into and influence our election?  That he criticizes the parents of a soldier that sacrificed his life for his country, his fellow soldiers and Afghan citizens?  That he lays into a fire marshall whose firefighters have just helped him out of trapped elevator?  That he is trying to weasel out of debates?  It

                                                                     just

                                                                             never

                                                                                     stops.


And the Trumpeteers just don't care.


Until next time,

T. M .Strait






No comments:

Post a Comment