Thursday, June 28, 2018

Throwing It Back Thursday Style!



My week-long celebration of older features continues, with the return of Throwback Thursday!

For this, I used three of the oldest pictures on my phone.


My father, Eugene Evertt Strait, who passed in September of 2013, kept his mental facilities up until the end, even though his physical capabilities deteriorated.  He loved playing games, especially RummiKube, as pictured here, and Poker Bingo, a game that he created a game board for.  He never stopped being tough to beat.  You think he would show some mercy to us youngins', but he never did.

I miss him every day.






In November 2012, Benjamin played Little John in Young Robin Hood, a play that I co-wrote with Karissa Cook.  He and the other young people put in fantastic performances, and I think they had a great time.  I thank the Flying Dragon for indulging me in letting me write and direct this musical, and I thank Karissa for all the hard work she put into ensuring its success.





Steve Bean and I shared a vision of turning a property on the Okefenokee Heritage Center campus, The Studio, into a usable facility for the performing arts.  I am happy to say that it is presently being used that way, particularly by Purlie Productions. 

Steve was a good friend and a  tremendous Executive Director for the Okefenokee Heritage Center.  His kindness and loving relationships were an essential part of my church, Grace Episcopal Church, and helped transform into one of the most loving and open parishes in South Georgia.

Like my father, he has also passed, but his accomplishments and kindnesses live on.  





No comments:

Post a Comment