Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Wandering Wednesday is Back, Baby!

Is a part of me still in Ireland?  You better believe it!




It's back! One of my most popular blog features!  Wednesday Wanderings!

Ok, that's not entirely true.  It actually ranks quite low in views compared to some of my other kinds of posts.  Stuff with BenJerMan - that gets a lot of views.  As irritating as it may be to some, my political stuff gets a lot of views.  Things where I shut up and mostly show pictures do quite well.  Well, Wednesday Wanderings are more popular than my poetry.  That's something, right?

---------------------------------

My work status for the next two weeks is on call.  Get that, my work buddies?  Let me know if something comes in.  And then give me time to sober up, get dressed and get in.

-------------------------------------

Speaking of sober, I fell in love with a drink in Ireland.  Guinness? Whiskey?  Ale?  Nope. Orange Soda!  Turns out of the ten most popular soft drinks in Ireland, three are orange sodas!  And, if you get one with your meal, they're more likely to put ice in your glass!  Viva la ice! I know, my love of ice makes me hopelessly American. But that's okay.  I'd rather explain to Europeans why I like ice than try to explain how America elected a dim-witted racist narcissist like Trump.

---------------------------------------------------

Funny thing on the way to worrying about Trump - turns out that the stealing of Obama's Supreme Court nomination may be almost as destructive as the orange democracy-wrecking ball.  Expect many decisions that benefit corporations and the wealthy, and decisions that narrow and restrict democracy and access to it, that promote and encourage those who would discriminate.

This means when Progressives take control of the Presidency and Congress (which I believe they will), their initiatives will be reversed by a profoundly reactionary court.  We could actually pass Medicare for all, only to have it taken away by a Supreme Court that just hates to see everyone have access.  We could try to combat global warming only to have those initiatives over-turned.  And on and on it will go.

----------------------------------------------------

We're gearing up the college application process for Benjamin.  Isn't that just crazy?

The cost of college is so high, I have no idea how anyone does it.  He should have Zell Miller level Hope Scholarship (covering tuition), but room and board are higher for one year than my college was for all four years, tuition and room and board COMBINED!

Student loans are like putting a massive yoke around their necks, dragging them down for the rest of their lives.  I don't know why Americans are willing to accept that.

------------------------------------------

We're watching The Handmaid's Tale.  We at first had to catch up, settling in after our Ireland trip.  We're now caught up and can't stand the wait each Wednesday for a new episode.  The parallels to what's been happening in our country to what's happening on that show are eerie and spine-tingling. It's like a scary vision of the future where Mike Pence is President.

-------------------------------------------


For those who want me to end on an up note, here's another picture of Ireland.





Better yet, heeeere's Benjamin!

Wanderingly yours,

T. M. Strait













No comments:

Post a Comment