Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Garden Style Wednesday Wanderings: Keeping Your Distance 20




First Wandering Check-In - the Garden.

It's grown beyond the cedar gardening box - see all the starter pots around it!

Most of the taller stuff you see are tomatoes.  There are starting to bud little yellow flowers, which Alison says are preliminary to the tomatoes coming.  Alison loves homegrown tomatoes, so that's a central part of our garden start.  We also have lettuce that Alison started hydroponically, from leftover lettuce stems she got from the school.

We have also recently added broccoli, zucchini, and basil.  They're just starting to peek through the soil.

In the future, we hope to add potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots.  We have seeds ordered for those.

We may need to get more cedar planters.

Personal Health

I feel pretty good, but my diet has stalled.  The fallback has not been severe, but it has been enough to halt weight loss.  My excuses?  The lockdown, my erratic work schedule, stress.  Another biggie is with Benjamin being home; we tend to more treat/comfort meals.

But these are just excuses.  The biggest responsibility is mine.  I'm the one who got off track.  I'm the one who needs to have the strength of character to get back on track.

Nevertheless, the work I've done, improving my overall health gives me a better chance should I contract the coronavirus.  A chance, though - no guarantees.  The disease has been rough on even relatively healthy people.

The Work World

For me personally, I should be entering a period of fewer accounting work hours.  This may be true for the rest of the year.  The summer audit I'm normally involved with I won't be participating in - our firm is not doing it this year.  Hopefully, this will help me establish a limited but consistent work routine,

Not so for most of my fellow Georgians.  Whether they like it or not, safe or not, most of them will have to go back to work, thanks to the incredible stupidity of Georgia's Governor, Brian Kemp.  Alison may have to resume a full-time schedule next week, as will other school staff and teachers.  No students yet.  They are still scheduled to start next Fall.

The whole state seems to have lost its mind.  We're returning to normal at a time when cases and deaths have yet to peak.  I am fearful and discouraged.

No One Can Predict What Happens Next

I don't know for sure what happens next.  Maybe a vaccine comes more quickly than one has ever come before.  Maybe it helps cut off the dreaded second wave that is projected for the Fall.

Maybe people who've had it have developed an immunity.  Maybe herd immunity is a real thing.

I don't know.

But I don't think so.

And the way many parts of the world (including many American states) are behaving, I think 1) the first wave will last longer than it needs to, and 2) the second wave will be genuinely frightening.

First Facebook Live Call

Doug had birthday number 36 Monday, and we had our first Facebook Live with him and Greg in California.  Alison, Benjamin and I were on it together.  Technologically, I don't know how it worked, but it did.  Thank goodness I had nothing to do with it.  Alison just answered her phone, and it was there, like magic.  Voila!

Everyone is doing well.  Doug can work from home, for the most part.  He and Paige are tending their garden (our inspiration for our own), their bees and chickens and rabbits, and finishing some household projects to complete their home renovation.  Greg is still working, although Hollywood's slowdown is affecting him.  He is helping put together a special episode of All Rise, an episode set from different actor's home and such, set in the COVID-19 pandemic, and how the various characters are trying to continue on with essential legal work, even from social isolation. 


Be Safe

No matter where you are, no matter how incompetent your President and/or your state and local leaders are, no matter how irrational and incautious some around you behave - please strive to stay as safe as you can.  Stay home if you can.  Keep social distance when you have to go out.  Wear masks.  

Love,

Tom












No comments:

Post a Comment