Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Days of Comfy Chairs: Keeping Your Distance 41


I kvetch a lot.

What can I do?  We're living in a time of many catastrophes.  The coronavirus rages out of control, particularly in the United States, even more particularly in the area where I live. Portland is under siege from unidentified federal forces who sweep people away in unmarked cars.  Climate change looms over the planet, and I'm not sure how we are going to handle it or mitigate it.  Political norms and democracy (our democratic republic, for those who snot off about calling America a democracy) are under constant challenge and stress.  We have many underlying systematic problems, racial and economic, that make progress towards greater equality of opportunity difficult.

But there are things to be grateful for.

On a personal level, I have comfy chairs, loving pets (the cat shown above, Skitty, may not be genuinely loving, but once in a while, she does deign to recognize my presence, especially around mealtime), and a loving and supportive family.  I have pretty good health for my age, enabling me to do modest excise, contribute to my household and career, enjoy reading and watching TV and movies, and when I get a chance, to perform, in plays and/or audio. 

I can't quit my accounting career, but I can take time away from it to pursue the hobbies and interests I want to, lucrative or not. 

I'm am introvert, so the slight rise in social isolation does not bother me as much as it does others.

On a community level, I know that we have many mask resisters and Trumpeteers where I live.  But there are many, many people that are responsible and care about others.  Most of the people I know are that way - even some of the conservatives.  Some businesses here are beginning to require masks, and there seems to be a growing recognition that we are in crisis.  Yes, I still hear conspiracy theories and lunacy, but I also witness a lot of people discovering the virtues of science and common sense.

Our church has not started in-person services yet, but many of our hard-working vestry members have constructed a careful and well thought out plan to make things as safe a possible when we do come back.  It gives me great confidence that, when new case numbers decline significantly, our church will be doing re-opening right.

We have many local people putting in the extra work to make things better for all.  I hope to do a separate blog entry highlighting the extraordinary contributions of some of those people.


On a national level,  I am heartened by the Black Lives Matter people and those supporting the needed police reform efforts to help make this a safer country for ALL OF US.  I am encouraged by the polls that indicate a solid lead for Biden, and that America seems to be ready for a change in leadership.

Biden was not my first choice.  He has his flaws.  But in these grave times, I see his empathy and experience as being what our country is crying out for RIGHT NOW.  And I am, of course, extremely gratified that he will be picking a woman for Vice President.  And it's not like he has to sacrifice anything in choosing a female candidate - all the contenders I have heard mentioned are first-rate, and will make excellent leaders, and will contribute positively to this country.

The next few months are going to be tough.  COVID-19 is still in its first wave.  As bad as it is right now, it might get worse in the Fall and Winter, even more so if we can't figure out how to behave.  The political season we are headed into promises to be the nastiest in our history (and that's saying a lot).  Climate change continues to gnaw away at our sustainability.

Nevertheless, I see brighter things on the horizon. I see where we may get through this and come out a better people and planet on the other side.

Maybe it's just my comfy chairs.  Maybe it's just my faith in Christ, and that the Holy Spirit will move more and more of us to act as his hands and feet, and help bring the Kingdom of Heaven closer to Earth.  Maybe it's my belief in the saying Martin Luther King, Jr. made famous - "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice."

I am so ready for us to come around that bend. 























No comments:

Post a Comment