Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Post-Retirement Wednesday Wanderings


 

My office at work was decorated on my last day in accounting, Thursday of last week. I want to thank Chris for my making my send-off special, and also Nicole and Dean.  

It's now Wednesday.  Do I feel retired after almost a week since my accounting career ended?  Truthfully, not yet.  I've had a lot of chores and saved up stuff.  I think tomorrow, when I have no obligations to run errands or leave the house, might be when it sinks in a bit.  We shall see!

---------------------------

One of the things I was considering was how much emphasis I should place on this blog.  How fruitful is it?  I make no money off of it, and I'm not likely to.  Views have been in decline.  Most months, it's between 1000 and 1500 views (at its height, it ran closer to 4000).  

Even though I only posted seven new posts in October, traffic was up to 2100!  That was a positive.

In November, as of today, only three days in, I have over 5500 views!  I'm not sure what's going on.  Maybe it's a sign that I'm supposed to keep going with The Strait Line. Or perhaps I've been hacked.  Time will tell.

-----------------------

At this point, the only routine out of the house I have is to do the church treasury work on Tuesday afternoon and then to follow up with either helping my church with its Sacks for Saturday program or reading stories for Children's Storytime at the public library.

----------------------

I put up a poll on my group Polls R Us, asking what I should do now that I'm retired.  The number one response was...Write! Write! Write!  Well, who am I to argue with that!  I'll at least keep up with my blog.  I might re-engage with fiction writing.

Other leading responses were to travel (some budget constraints there), start a podcast (that would take some learning), and become an audio reader.   I would love to do those last two, but I will probably need some guidance.

------------------

What a stunner.  Virginia voted like it always does - the opposite of whatever party holds the White House.  It's tiring, and I wish they wouldn't do that.  But I think the media is reading way too much into the results.

It's true that even though Trump is out of office, we are still in a very dark place politically.  Biden's lack of 2020 political coattails is making things very, very difficult.  And 2022 promises to be a disaster.

All I and other like-minded progressives can do is stick to our guns on policy and hammer it over and over again. It's frustrating, I know.  And it's hard to think long-term strategy when the climate doomsday clock rapidly approaches midnight.

-------------------------

How 'bout them Braves?

Ok, that's all I got.  I'm glad they won.  I tried to watch the ending of last night's game, but my internet went out.

Maybe next year, the Braves will come back and defeat an AL team instead of a quasi-NL team.

Unless it's the Detroit Tigers...in that case, GO TIGERS!


Wanderingly Yours,

T. M. Strait





No comments:

Post a Comment