Tuesday, August 2, 2022

The Grass Is Always Growing


 

The grass is always growing. And I wish it would stop, or at least slow down.

This is a backyard view, the stepping stones leading to the area where our dogs would play, sniff, and use the outdoor facilities. Right now, it is relatively short, as I mowed it just a few days ago.

However, near that last stone, you can see it is already starting to rise again.

It doesn't help that we have had a lot of rain prior to the current week. And it really doesn't help that we have such a high percentage of fast-growing weeds, especially in the dog yard.

Based on my walkabouts and other observations, a brief survey of my area indicates this as a reasonable estimate - out of every fifty residences, 15 or so have their yards done by hired professionals, 34 use riding lawnmowers, and one lone fool uses a push mower.

And guess who that one lone fool is?


Yep. You guessed it. That one lone fool is me. 

At least it is electric. I used to use a gas mower, and whether I could crank it to start was always a mystery. The electric starts easy, so I'm not already exhausted from just trying to start it.  

It's also self-propelled, a real blessing.  

The battery range is about an hour. That's a good match for me because that's about as long as my battery lasts.

I'm not precisely sure of my yard size. It's less than an acre, but not dramatically less than that.

It takes three days (or three sessions) to complete the yard.

I try to do it early in the morning. That strategy is only partly effective now, as the heat and humidity are constant.

I tend to suffer heat exhaustion very easily, so by the time I've done the three sessions, I'm pretty wiped out. This last Saturday, I was dizzy and daffy for the rest of the day.

Whenever we talk about moving (a ways off), we talk about condos and townhouses with a tiny backyard for our mostly indoor dogs. 

Some place where even if the grass is always growing, I don't have to stress about it much.



No comments:

Post a Comment