Friday, September 9, 2022

My Super Power

 He had the type of personality that led everyone to like him. Except me. I couldn't stand him.

I don't know why I saw him differently. The charm that so enticed others repulsed me. Something in my experiences, or even in my DNA, made me suspicious of smiling glad-handers. The more charismatic one was, the more doubtful I became.

At first, he seemed to want nothing from us. He gave parties. He learned all our names and little details about our lives. "How is your daughter Sarah? Is she enjoying her third year at Mercer?" "Dan! You're walking much better today! Is your bout with gout almost through?" That is a gorgeous sweater, Maryann! Did you crochet it yourself? You just get better and better with each project! Maybe you should open up your own shop!"

Yes, please, Maryann. Open up your own shop in the shopping village he was planning on building. His shopping village sounded more like a strip mall, but who am I to argue with his honeyed words?

At first, his grand building scheme was nothing we needed to worry about. He had it fully financed. All we had to do was watch it being put together and enjoy the shopping and sales tax benefit, contributing to the support of better public schools and paved roadways.

But it sounded so good that a few couldn't resist begging him to become involved. Oh, please! Take our money, and we can also cash in on your dream.

So, the project got half built. Then, the work stalled out when some of the subcontractors were not getting paid. There was always some excuse about the quality or completeness of the work. Why, he had the money to pay. He just was waiting for things to fall into place.

When he left, most people thought it was just temporary. He was arranging the next wave of construction; he was finalizing blueprints with an Atlanta architect; he was simply taking a break. He would be back better and more energetic than ever.

Now, even though it's been two months, many are still optimistic that he was coming back, that the investment they had made with him would reach fruition, and they could glory in the returns.

I knew better. I knew he would not be back.

Everyone has a superpower if they examine themselves closely enough.

Mine is smelling out con men.

No, not every real estate developer is a con man.

But the ones that are? God help us if we can't detect them.



No comments:

Post a Comment