Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Forebotten Topics

 Yes, there are some things that I shouldn't talk about. Some things are even too dangerous for me to go into.

Excluding topics that are obvious to avoid, like explicit sexual discussions, there are others that COULD be discussed, but I don't care to go into them. 

And some topics are primarily ones I avoid with in-person conversations, to some degree online, but mostly in person.

I'm low-keying this one. No pictures and very few social media postings.

 Politics while at the theatre

Although I generally like political discussions, I go out of my way to avoid them when I'm at the theatre. This is not as easy as it seems. There are a lot of downtimes where people discuss a lot of things.

My taboo on politics at the theatre has very practical reasons. I am very passionate about these issues. I can get loud and carried away in expressing my viewpoint. More importantly, it can hurt my ability to concentrate on my part. I get too wound up, and I lose concentration. Not a good thing for somebody who is the type who is still reviewing my lines before my performances and can't let my mind wander while I'm onstage.

When others talk about politics, I try very hard to keep my mouth shut, even when I have to listen to some really weird opinions. Remember, I live in an area where Trump voters vastly outnumber everyone else. If it gets too much for me, I just walk away.

I learned to practice the same philosophy when I worked at a place that had nothing bad to say about Trump while he was President but started joking and making fun of Biden about two days into his term. 

Generally speaking, believe it or not, I don't raise political issues with people (unless I know they are allies). Sometimes, in some situations, it's hard for me not to say something when others bring it up.  

Almost all of my political talk is done via this blog.

Covid

I've learned the hard way not to talk about COVID. When others bring it up, I just let them talk.  

People's attitudes toward COVID are strange. Some (well, very few) are very strict about it - very worried and protecting themselves. Others dismiss the whole thing and think there's something wrong with you if you are still concerned about it.

And God forbid you should tell somebody you haven't had COVID yet. The looks you get! They range from disgust to why are you telling me this to baffled silence. The worst response is saying you haven't had COVID is the equivalent of saying you haven't had cancer or some other disease. YOU ARE BRAGGING.  

Have I never had COVID? I know. I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut. The truth is...probably not, but who can say for sure? It's possible I had it, and it was so incredibly asymptomatic I didn't even know.

But...you don't want to hear that. I understand now.

Tattoos

This one is scary. Perhaps the scariest topic I could broach. Tattoos are so universal now it's difficult to say anything without upsetting people.

Let me start by saying that people getting tattoos is perfectly fine. There's not a religious or moral problem. Churches who pretend they're "open and tolerant" because they let people in with tattoos are kidding themselves - let's see how many people show up if you exclude them.

That said, here goes. And I hope you still like me when I'm done.

I personally would never get a tattoo. That's my own choice. I just don't like drawing on myself. When I was a kid, I didn't even like to write my name on my arm with an inkpen. I'm not telling anybody else what to do. That's their own choice.

Do I think that tattoos, of any kind, look attractive on people? Sigh. No, I don't. I don't think it enhances people's appearance. Cripes. I can already feel the slings and arrows coming.

Does it affect how I feel about anyone? Hell, no. I feel the same way about people, regardless of tattoos, piercings, or anything else.

The only other proviso is that I don't really feel like people who are serious about acting should have prominent tattoos if they can help it. It's best to be a blank slate that can be adapted to the widest range of parts. This, to me, is most helpful to those getting started in the profession.

Am I aware that there are a lot of parts now where having tattoos either do not matter or are helpful? Yes, I'm sure there are. But I still feel it is easier to add temporary tattoos than to cover up permanent ones.

-------------------

Well, I guess three forebotten topics is a good place to start. And for some, I'm afraid it may be a good place to get off the Strait Train. I hope not, as I love and respect you all. Even the Trumpeteers.


Well, most of the Trumpeteers.










No comments:

Post a Comment