Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Wandering Wednesday Wrap-up

 


Ellie has the right idea of what retirement should be like.

Unfortunately, I can't quite take on her attitude.  I feel driven to accomplish more than that.

It's been almost a full year since I retired from accounting.  I spent the first few months organizing and then selling a large chunk of my comic collection.  In doing so, I earned more than I would have working the whole year as a part-time CPA.

I've written some, read a lot, participated more at the library, doing my only accounting holdout as Treasurer for our church, slow-binged a number of TV shows, taken more walks, and increased the lever of house and yard work that I do.  We took a trip to see my new grand-daughter in New York, and also spent time with Benjamin and his roommate Eddie, a student from Sweden.

If you can read the magazine in Ellie's picture, you can see that it's a schedule for Turner Classic Movies.  So, yes, I am trying to watch more classics, particularly silent films.  I am trying to start with the oldest films and move my way forward.  Righrt now, I've started a Harold Lloyd classic, Hot Water, from 1924, an episodic comedic look at married life.  I watch about fifteen to thirty minutes a day.

I just finished up being in a play, Harvey, a comedy about a man who sees a six-foot rabbit.  I had been in it as a Freshman in high school and reprised the same part, an elderly judge.  Same part, less makeup. We had small but enthusiastic crowds.  I had fun, and the people I was acting with were a joy to perform with, but I think, at my age, about one play a year is all I care to do.  It's fun, but it takes a lot.

Being home, I could watch a lot of the 1/6 hearings.  It's scary and unprecedented to pursue criminal charges against a former President, for this and for his other myriad crimes, but the true danger to the republic is to let him get away with it.  No one should be above the law.


Alison and I have been able to take some day trips together.  Monday (Indigenous People's Day) we were able to spend the day in Brunswick.  I don 't often take pictures of meals, but this was an important discovery, Wee Pub, that had one of the best shepherd's pie I ever done et. If half the Shepherd's Pie looks different than the other half, that's because I was stirring and sampling before I took the picture.  Yeah, I'm not really adept at the art of culinary photography.

Beginning soon this second year of retirement from accounting, I hope to refocus slightly.  This should mean more writing, but it may mean less blogging.  I really need to focus on something that may at least theoretically bring in money.  I don't know if I can make much.  It would be awesome if I can make at least enough to cover our streaming services, and some of my book/comic purchases.  That may not happen, but it would be super cool if it did.

For fun, I'd like to go back to learning how to draw.  It's just something I've always wanted to do.  Maybe I'll even share some of my art on this blog.

👇

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.



No comments:

Post a Comment