Friday, September 29, 2023

Inspire Me Shorts 92923

 More stories based on the Inspire Me app, constructed around three randomly selected words -


1 job, wouldn't, press


There is no job I wouldn't do for you. You don't need to press for me to impress you.

So, relax. They'll never find the body.


2 written, different, up

So it is written. Thus, it will be. Every word is infallible. The entire book is true.

I know. Different faiths have come to different conclusions; the same book that condemns slavery is used to defend slavery.

But, ultimately, there is only one true, literal interpretation of our good book.

And that, of course, is the one we possess, Brother Dan.

You can take that to the heavenly bank. There is only one way up to the pearly gates.

And that way is exclusively for us, we true believers. We keepers of the one true light.


3 flag, think, way

The original pledge of allegiance did not have under God in it. Even though it was written by a Baptist minister, he did not include it. It was a civic pledge, not a religious one.  

This is what minister Francis Bellamy wrote in 1892 -

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Over time, other changes were made. It wasn't until 1954 that the phrase "under God" was added.

As someone who does think that this should only be a civic pledge, in what way should I handle saying it?

Here is my compromise - I stand to say the pledge, put my hand on my heart, and say the pledge out loud, except I do not vocalize the phrase "under God."

A weak compromise, I know. But it works for me.


4 tall, lucky, last

I am not tall. I reached my maximum height of 5' 8" in 7th grade. But, at that time, it made me one of the taller boys in my class, about the third tallest. When we picked basketball teams, I would be the center. About eighth string center, but center nonetheless.

I didn't like being so tall. I thought the short kids were lucky because they could sneak ahead in school lines without people noticing. And it was awkward to be so much taller than the girls. I wished I wasn't so tall.

By the time I got to high school, I was suddenly one of the shortest kids, as everyone around me grew rapidly, and I stayed the same. I would always be picked last when the gym class selected basketball teams or volleyball.

Sometimes, you have to be careful what you wish for.

5 modern, Roman, tightly

Titus held me tightly. I could barely breathe.

"Oh, my dear Jocela! I am so fond of you! I must have you as my wife!"

I struggled to push him away. I could only tilt back a few inches. Enough to look up at him and tell him, "Titus, you must give me space! I need time to think on this."

"I have done this properly, my dear. The Roman way. I have secured the blessing of your father. Goods have already been exchanged to seal the deal. My asking you would only be a courtesy."  Titus clutched Jocala firmly again. 

Jocala pleaded, "But don't you see? Times have changed. Women have more respect than ever. The Senate has recently recognized women's marital rights to property in the event of marital dissolution. We are increasing our family participation and marital decisions. I'm just asking you to be more up-to-date, more modern, in your attitudes."

Titus laughed in a braying, cruel manner. "You silly creature! The Roman Way IS the Modern Way! Your father sides with me. Learn to love me. That is your only choice."

Times were not changing fast enough to save Jocala.




No comments:

Post a Comment