Monday, July 20, 2009

Remember where you were?

I started to post on Facebook where I was during the moon landing, and then ask others where they were, when I realized the majority would either have no recollection or tell me they weren't even born yet. So I'm posting here instead!

The summer of '69 I was fourteen. My family owned a Holiday Rambler travel trailer, and we were at the Holiday Rambler national trailer rally at Eagle Rock Canyon in Wyoming. The area we were in was rocky and moon like, with no trees. We were were surrounded on all sides by mountains. There were people there from all areas of the United States. We had a little black and white TV that we put on a picnic table outside of our trailer, and watched it in that moon like setting, gazing in awe with all these people from everywhere, everybody participating in the magic of that moment. It was one of the most spiritual, impactful experiences of my life.

Please feel free to post your experience, on this or other important moments in time when you realized how connected you were to the world and universe at large.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that my mother had eaten some spicy mexican food that day and it gave me indigestion. I heard fuzzy reports of the landing but it is amazing how much embrotic fluid can distort the sounds of tv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was working at a summer camp; we had no access to TV or much free time. At night, we sat on a roof and listening to a radio account of the landing. Camp was also the place I heard about Woodstock. It was a camp for rich teenagers; the director was very anti-drug, so he gave horrific accounts of how terrible it was at Woodstock (which was only a few miles away from where we were). Of course, I know every teenager there would have escaped to Woodstock if they could.

    ReplyDelete