Saturday, March 10, 2012

Saturday Political Soap Box 21 - Simple Question

I'm going to try to keep it basic this week. Simple, basic question, for which I am hoping for direct, thoughtful answers - Can a strong, committed liberal/progressive be a good, devoted Christian?




I don't want to say too much, else people wander in the weeds too much. I just want to clarify that, other than the unpleasantly hot weather and gnats, I like living down here in South Georgia. I have many good friends, some of them very conservative, but on a personal basis, they are very friendly and kind to me. And when you drift off politics, many of them are personally generous and giving people. I have spent most of my life living in very conservative areas and am comfortable with it, for the most part. I live a personally conservative life, even though my politics and theology are distinctly liberal.



The most upsetting thing about living here has been the whole identification and combining of conservative politics with religion, to the point that it's become accepted dogma that only conservatives are true Christians. Some preachers in the area use liberal as a kind of curse term, identifying all the ills of society as being caused by liberals. One large church in this area even had a debate a few years ago about whether they could accept active Democrats as members. My son participated in Upwards Soccer, in which devotionals are given during halftime. One of the times, a couple giving a devotion just started whaling on liberals as being responsible for all our ills. This was at an event where the devotionals were supposed to be directed at young children.



I have asked this questions to several of my friends, and the look I get from them withers my very soul, like the idea that liberals could be Christians is just impossible for them to fathom. And it hurts plenty to see it.



I go to a church that is open and tolerant, and has a mix ranging from very conservative to very liberal members, both theologically and politically. I love being in that diversity, where what share in common is our love of the Lord and our devotion to the basic tenets of Christ, and our coming together in Eucharisitic communion. I think our diversity makes us stronger.



So, I wrote too much again. Sorry. To repeat the central question - Can a strong, committed liberal be a good, devoted Christian?

1 comment:

  1. I would say yes they can be but you may want to look at Richards Rohr's Eight core principles with an emphasis on the 3rd it has some good thoughts on this

    ReplyDelete