Friday, January 16, 2015

History of the Trap: April Again Part 2

2

"I'm leaving," said Robert Bond.  "I'm going to go where I'm needed."
Artie refused to even look at him.  He had argued with him for days, and finally conceded to reality.  Our group was set to dwindle once again.  His oldest and most enduring friendship, his constant companion, his next door neighbor who had been by his side since toddlerhood, was going away. 
Of course, in the Trap, it was not possible to truly go away (although it did seem that some had just vanished into thin air).  Robert's area of expertise was in agriculture and he had decided to go to the farm, and assist the other guys there with raising the animals and growing the crops.
It was surprising to see Robert leave Artie's side.  He had always been there, ever since I could remember.  They were friends long before I came along.  Robert seemed to practically worship Artie.  But he had grown discontent as Artie's involvement with other people had increased.  Artie's sudden political emergence meant he spent more time away from us.  And for some reason, I think Artie's relationship with Ginny bothered Robert.  Artie had had girlfriends before (including, for a brief time, my sister), but none had been quite as close as his connection with Ginny.  Robert may have felt that he had been moved from first wheel to second wheel to spare tire.
Robert was going away.  We might still see him, but it was going to be much rarer now.  Our group, our 'Artie's Gang' had changed and morphed over time.  We probably actually had more people in our clique than we had before the Trap.  They just weren't the same ones.
The core group of guys that had bonded in Junior High was now down to Artie and me.  Tom Bodell and Jim Kurrash were lost in the tunnel explosion.  Randy Sherman had once again found a new girlfriend outside the group, and no longer came around.  Now the quiet rock of our group, Robert Bond, was leaving. 
Jerry Mack had wandered into our group sometime during our Freshman year, coming over to our table in the mornings and listening in silence to what we had to say, laughing at our jokes, nodding when he agreed with us (of course Spider-Man could beat Plant  Lad!).  He was small and sickly, and offered input only rarely, but he was with us, and he seemed to really worship Artie.
As sophomores, we were joined by Ginny Estill, who was a great flaky wonderment to our group.  For almost a year, she felt like just another one of the guys, but it did not take me long to develop a crush on her.    Just before the Trap fell, I was getting ready to ask her to the dance, but it had been six months or more than I had been trying to work up the nerve to approach.  I was gun-shy, particularly after at the first of the school year telling Carol Dietrich that I loved her, and wound getting laughed at.  Ginny's friendship meant too much to me to risk losing it because I pushed things too far.
With my glacially slow approach, it gave time for Ginny and Artie to kindle a relationship with each other.  But maybe I was kidding myself.  Maybe it didn't matter whether I moved slow or fast.  Maybe Ginny and Artie were destined to be together anyways.  Maybe, had I started dating her, it would have just hurt all the more when she moved to Artie.
At the beginning of our junior year, Ginny's sister, Mary Estill, joined us.  Other girls might come by once in awhile, but no other females were regular.  Two that we occasionally saw were Sue Boschman and Lisa Carlton.  And then once the Trap fell, those two became regulars.  Sue became very close to Tom Bodell, and I became very close to Lisa.  And now, of us four, I was the only one left alive.
More recently, Arlette Mierkey and Larry Weisman had joined our table gathering.  Arlette was funny, confident and an avid reader.  She made me remember how much I loved books, and if I could ever get things settled down, my soap under control and a murderer revealed, I would love to get back into rediscovering books. Larry was so bright.  He was like David Yankovich (lost in the tunnel explosion that may have been the fault of design flaws that he would never admit to), but without the smarmy arrogance.
Except for talking to a couple of the science teachers, Larry and I had kept what we found out about the stars to ourselves.  We weren't quite sure what it meant, that the night skies weren't changing, and until we got more confirmation from the science staff, we didn't see the need to panic everybody.
Phil Irman, my friend from the TV studio, would come by sometimes, but he wasn't a regular.  Katie Kurrash, Jim's younger sister, was starting to hang with us. Lindsay Starn, the junior class Council representative, had just started showing up regular in the last couple of months.  I think she was sweet on me, but I just wasn't ready for anything like that.  I had things about that I had to resolve.  I would not rest until justice was achieved.  It was hard to think of anything else while Robert Pelley, Lisa's killer, strutted around a free man.
An interesting group, to be sure.  And there would be other changes as time went on.  As I am sure you know, Doctor Duncan, from the group that was gathered together at the house where the crime occurred that I have been accused of, some of these people survive until the end of the Trap.  Most do not.
Artie broke his silence.  "You don't have to go out there, Robert, to help with the farming.  There's an agricultural team based right here.  Don't you like working with Mr. Bruchow?  He's right here.  He's not out there at the Barn. Why do you want to go out there?"
"I don't want to go out there," said Robert.  "I need to go out there.  I love you, Artie, but it's time for me to do my own thing."
They hugged.  Robert didn't seem to want to let go.  I didn't understand if Artie meant so much to him, why did he have to leave?  "You stay in touch, you hear?  It's not like you're on the moon, you understand?"
"No, Artie.  It's not the moon," said Robert, a tear tumbling down his cheek. He grabbed a duffel bag filled with his few belongings.  "Come out and visit me and the cows and goats sometimes.  Catch you all later."
Ginny hugged him as he was leaving, but he kind of shrugged it off, and stared at her like he wanted to say something mean, but instead just turned and walked away.
As the Trap progressed, I would understand Robert's feelings better.  But at the time he left, I was naive.  That was not a dimension I thought in much, so I didn't have a clue.
What with the change in administration, and with Mark Granite's increasing influence, we were having more frequent dances.  They were not pleasant entirely, as even though they were more regulated by a student police force, their enforcement of discipline was quite selective.  Lindsay told me she wanted to go to the dance, but that she didn't want to go by herself.  Would I mind going with her and hanging out around her?  Not as a date, of course, she assured me, but as two friends watching out for each other.
I hated to say no, but I couldn't do it.  Not just because I wasn't ready to step out like that, but because I had something else I had to do.  Something else that I was obsessed with, something that I couldn't ask anyone else to risk being involved with.

Robert Pelley was going down.  Whatever it took.

No comments:

Post a Comment