Friday, January 2, 2015

History of the Trap: March Coup Part 6

6

I was too late.
By the time I got there, the damage had already been done.  But what could I have done, even if I was on time?  The time I could have done anything had long since passed. I should have never abandoned my father.  I should have supported him after the trial, investigated and questioned Mr. Tate instead.  But I was too busy with my pout.
I was too late.
Artie, Lindsay and Jan were sitting together in the student lobby near the library, looking rather defeated.  I rushed up to them.  "What happened, Artie?  Am I too late?"
Artie looked at me, with some anger, but mostly a melancholic sadness.  "Well, look.  It's the prodigal son."
"That's not fair, Artie.  I think this all took us by surprise." admonished Lindsay,
"It's over, Lance.  I'm sorry," sadly intoned Jan Houser, who even though she lost the Presidency, still retained a seal on the Council.  "It was a called meeting, by Mark and Mr. Tate, challenging your father's leadership.  Everything bad that has happened in the last year was laid at his doorstep.  I think they would blame him for the Trap itself, if they thought they could get away with it.  Artie argued eloquently for your father, even persuading a couple of the students that were not aligned with either the Grani-Knights or us.  But in the end, it was not enough.  There were just too many of them."
Artie looked at me coldly.  "Maybe if we could have had just one more voice speaking up for him.  You know, someone who was really good with words, like a really clever soap opera writer."
Lindsay snapped.  "That's ridiculous, Artie.  You don't know any such thing.  I think this goose has been cooked for awhile."
"How could they do this?" I questioned.  "Where did they even get the authority?  The by-laws hadn't approved yet, have they?"
"That's the first thing they did," said Artie.  "They rammed the by-laws through at the beginning of the meeting, and then proceeded directly to a vote to impeach your father, and then replace him with Mr. Tate.  The students voted for impeachment, 13 to eight.  The teachers on the council voted narrowly to support your father.  But the administrators went by one vote the other way.  I think it was a mistake to let Mr. Tate have so much influence in the selection of administrators on the council.  We found out Mr. Stein is not your father's friend.  He was the deciding vote in the administrative block of votes.  And now, he's second in charge.  What a surprise!"
David Izzner had just warned me about Stein, a warning that came far too late. "Thirteen, you said?  Aren't there fourteen Grani-Knights?" I asked.
"Morgan Tigh voted with us," answered Lindsay.  "I know.  She's Mark's girlfriend.  Trust me, that took us back a bit.  Mark seemed a bit taken back, but overall, he was very happy.  Smug, really."
"Didn't my Dad fight this?"
"In the beginning, he raised some objections to parts of the by-laws, but once they were passed and Mr. Tate began the impeachment proceedings, he didn't really say anything.  After the vote, they handed him a letter stating that he accepted the verdict of the proceedings, and that he was no longer Principal effective today.  He signed it without saying a word, moved from the Principal's chair, and Mr. Tate was selected as the new Principal on a voice vote.  Mr. Tate moved to the Principal's seat, said the next meeting would be a week from today, and we adjourned," said Jan.
"What's going to happen to him now?" I asked.
"He's going to be the new Vice Principal in charge of Academics," said Lindsay.  "And he's going to teach some, I think."
I finally sat down, next to Lindsay, who put her arm around my shoulder.  Artie actually backed away from me some, as if I had cooties.  Not only had I destroyed my relationship with my father, I had also lost my best friend.
Boys aren't supposed to cry.  I know that.  But sometimes the tears come anyways. 
"I know you're hurting," Lindsay whispered to me.  "But there's someone who needs you."

I looked at Lindsay, her face filled with empathy.  "Go to him," she implored.  "Go to him now."

No comments:

Post a Comment