Monday, January 12, 2015

Second Monday Musings

It's the second Monday of the year.

It's the second Monday of tax season.  Only twelve more after this and tax season will be through.

Sometimes it doesn't help me emotionally to think of things that way.

MEANWHILE.......

I got to see Selma!  I have covered my feelings on it in two other blog posts, so I won't go into it too far here.  Suffice it to say, I wish everyone would see it.  Box office wise, it should be our next Titanic or Avatar.  Enough box office has come in this weekend to demonstrate it will not.  It should do very well, but not blockbuster well.  Taken 3 was the actual box office winner this weekend.  I mean, really?  Your family is abducted for a THIRD time???  You may need to rethink how you're doing things.

Saw the Golden Globes, and some of the movie winners I had actually seen.  Amy Adams in Big Eyes, Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything, and best comedy winner The Grand Budapest Hotel.  Boyhood sounds like a fine movie, but I probably won't see it until it works it way down the food chain, to streaming or general television.

I have been to the movie theaters twice this year, sort of a record for me this early!  Things may slow down now, but you never know.

-----------------------------

Sooo, Dallas loses to Green Bay on a 'bad call"?  Gee, karma's a bitch, ain't it, Dallas?

That's all I got to say about sports.  We watched none of the playoff games.  Don't care about the college football championship tonight.  It would be nice if the Big Ten won, but it's Ohio State, for goodness sake.  Not really comfortable cheering for Ohio State.

--------------------------------

The Writer's Guild meets on Tuesday, and I think we have an exciting slate of officers coming up for the new year.  I will not be President/Chairman anymore, which is a relief to me.  Some things I can do pretty good as a leader, but not everything.  I have thin skin and it wears at me after awhile.  But I have high confidence in the organization, and I think we will be doing great things in the coming year.


-------------------------------

Like many new years, I am trying to straighten out my diet and do better.  On one level, I just don't like clothes shopping, and if I grow much more, I will have to buy new clothes, and I hate doing that, especially for clothes that are larger.  And it's not just a matter of being pretty.  I need to lose weight to get my blood pressure and other health concerns under control.

---------------------------

Whatever the political extremists and religious fanatics had in mind when the murdered those cartoonists, it has surely backfired.  They are now some of the most shown and famous cartoons in the history of mankind.  And millions of marchers have demonstrated unity and opposition to the restriction of freedom of expression.

Je suis Charlie!

Until next time,

T. M. Strait



No comments:

Post a Comment