Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Ripping Good Yarns: Best of the New



What is the best of the new Fall television season?  I haven't sampled everything, but there are more than usual that have made a good impression on me (and/or Alison).

I DVRed Queen Sugar for Alison, but she told me to stop after she saw the first episode.  Aftermath has an interesting premise, but some truly horrible acting and dialogue.  The Exorcist has moments, but there are also moments in it where I fall asleep (not a good sign).  Van Helsing is entertaining, but at a Grade B level.  Is AHS: A Roanoke Nightmare considered new since it is a new story?  Whatever it is, it is a cut above the last couple of seasons, with a much more coherent story.

I forgot to include comedies in this, but if I did, it would be won hands down by The Good Place, a very funny and imaginative comedy.



5)  Pitch.  I've only seen two episodes so far, but it has been outstanding.  I've even brought Alison into it.  Our third episode got lost due to the storm, and we'll need to go to Hulu to catch it.



4)  Designated Survivor.  A rare political drama whose plot lines don't make my head spin.  As extreme as it's base premise is, the political interactions are real enough for me to accept.  And it is a delight to see Keifer Sutherland in a role where his first instincts aren't to torture and beat the crap out of people.



3) This Is Us.  Yes, it's true.  I baled after the first episode.  But Alison loves it, and it is the highest rated new show since Empire.  And who can argue with that?




2) Westworld.  It's not really fair.  HBO can do some much more than broadcast TV or even basic cable.  But they have successfully taken a fairly cheesy 70s movie/book and turned into something amazing.




1) Timeless.  I love it!  A great scifi adventure series with good characters, dialogue and plotting.  And most importantly, it's not afraid to CHANGE things, and without going into to time paradox conniption fits like Stephen King's 11/22/63 where it spends most of it's time telling you how you can't change time.  This show just DOES IT!  Bravo!



No comments:

Post a Comment