Thursday, December 21, 2017

Christmas in the Way Back Machine


I love Christmas.

It's not so much the commercial aspect.  And yes, the religious part is important, but there were other parts as well.

And that was just being a part of being a loving family.

My mother was big on making Christmas a very special occasion.  We had lots and lots of presents.  Many of them were not very expensive.  She would wrap up socks, or put small things in big boxes.  She just liked us opening a lot of stuff.

There would be one or two presents that would be more substantial.  Carol's kitchen set.  My James Bond attache case.  One year I got a bicycle, and it was the only year where we had no snow on the ground and I could actually ride it!

Carol and I would wake up very early, and anxiously await for Mom and Dad to wake up.  Then we would open stockings which might take as long as an hour, as the overstuffed stocking would be opened one little present at a time, each person getting a turn in the rotation.  Fruit, gum, candy, coins, combs, pencils - every little item would be gushed over.

We would then have breakfast.  I'm not saying that was overwhelming - it might be scrambled eggs, oatmeal, or it might just be cereal and toast. I really didn't know how special breakfast could be until I moved South and discovered sausage 'n' cheese biscuits.

After breakfast, we would open a gift at a time, with either Carol or myself acting as "Santa", distributing each round of gifts.  Occasionally my mother would intervene and say, "Don't open that one yet - save it for later", wanting to build up to the "major" present.  We never stopped to ask how she knew which present Santa had set up as the "major" one.

This whole process could take to noon.




I don't remember much about the hundreds of presents we received over the years. 

What I remember was bonding with my family, and the sense of joy, celebration and love we experienced.

With my parents gone, and my sister in Michigan, I cherish the memory of these Christmases past, and carry on as many of the traditions as I can with my own nuclear family.

Merry Christmas to one and all!




No comments:

Post a Comment