Monday, December 11, 2017

Reading Railroad: All Aboard The Polar Express!


I found a new love Saturday, or perhaps it was just rekindling an old one.

The Okefenokee Heritage Society held an event Saturday afternoon, centered on the reading of The Polar Express.  There was also hot cocoa, ornament making, and silver bells.  The Depot was decorated for Christmas, including a Christmas Tree, a decorated mantel with operating fireplace, a toy train set, and, of course, the Heritage Center's real train, with a bell that rings.

I felt privileged to be the conductor of The Polar Express, and read the story to the children that attended the event.  Not to sound conceited, but I knew that I was a good reader.  What I didn't know was that I would manage to have such a positive rapport with the children.  I thought, being relatively shy, that I would stick to the story and not interact with them much.  I was wrong.  I enjoyed engaging them and bringing them into the story.



I owe a great deal to my storytelling teammate, Julianna Lacefield.  She got the children organized and engaged, ready to hear my story. She has a background in children's education, and was a tremendous help in getting them started and helping me hold their attention.

Julianna is a gifted storyteller in her own right, and I hope there will be more occasions where she and I can help bring great storytelling to children.

There were many that helped this event a success. Barbara Griffin stationed the delicious hot cocoa, where there was also candy canes and cookies.  Lamar Deal helped put together the silver bell set, and brought the toy train, and other antiques that helped set the right mood.  Elizabeth Welch, the OHC Director, was the brains and organizational spirit behind the whole event.  Bravo.



Two of my favorite people were at the event, Kimberly and Emily Beck.  Kimberly has been a friend for more than a decade now, and watching her daughter, Emily, grow up to be such a fine person and top-rate actress, has been a great treasure. They attend many of the events that I and/or Benjamin are in, and it means a lot to me.



This is a picture from a few months ago, where Emily was singing a song a song from The Addams Family musical.  She is playing the part of Wednesday Addams, fitting the part to a tee.

She tried out last week for the part of Wednesday Addams for the upcoming musical to be put on by the Waycross Area Community Theatre.  If they do cast her, WACT couldn't make a finer choice.


Retirement, for me, is about finally getting to spend more time doing the things that I love.  And I have rediscovered that one of things that I love to do most is to read to children.  I know it won't make any money (and I do need to make up a slight shortfall in the money I need to bring in - retirement income covers most but not all of what I need to make), but I love to do it, and I hope I can do more of it.

So, for those reading this who would like to utilize my reading talents, and Julianna's as well, please get in contact with me!  I stand ready to entertain and educate!






No comments:

Post a Comment