Monday, May 7, 2018

Writing-less Weekend Monday Musings

Picture from the OkeCon event held Saturday at the Waycross Ware County Library.


Friday.  Saturday.  Sunday.

Zero words written.

Not anything on a novel, a short story, or even a poem. Not a blog entry.  Not a newspaper column.  Nothing.  Nada. Zip.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet,

Sorry,  Thar wasn't me.  That was Shakespeare.

Which was one of the things I did this weekend.  I done went and seen Romeo & Juliet, the premier presentation of Shakespeare in the Park, as presented by Purlie Productions and the Okefenokee Heritage Center.

It was a fantastic show, a great introduction to the works of the world's greatest playwright.  I was proud of the work and effort put in by each and every one of them. 

It was difficult to be on the sidelines for it.  My decision to not be a part of it was a very tough one. And it was particularly tough to watch what I could have been in but chose not to be.

Hopefully, if they choose to do a Shakespeare production next year, I will be more able to participate.  Benjamin has already told me he prefers not to do the WACT musical next year (Beauty & the Beast), which should leave me not so exhausted when considering the Shakespeare play.




Here are the cast and crew of Romeo & Juliet.  I can't single anybody out.  They all did such a wonderful job.  Ok, I lied.  Special kudos to Barbara Griffin whose tireless commitment and devotion to this project is what helped it reach fruition and be a such an incredible success.

Every time I try to move away from the theater, I am reminded why I love it so.  If you ever hear me talk about giving it up, just roll your eyes and realize I'll be back before you know it.


I also saw The Adventures of Tom Sawyer on Friday, another stellar production by WACT.

It was a great cast from top to bottom, but I did want to particularly note the extraordinary performances of Collin Hendley as Tom Sawyer and Camden Jewell as Huckleberry Finn.  The play is constructed in such a way that much of the action takes place offstage and is described by cast members while in Aunt Polly's sitting room.   This works primarily due to the animated acting of Collin and Camden.  They make the tales come to life through expression and movement. They throw themselves and the audience into their parts completely and it pays off.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend you go this coming weekend - it has three more performances - this Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 8.

The Jeffords, our great local acting/performing family were at the OkeCon in force and in costume!


The biggest thing that kept me away from writing this weekend was preparing and attending OkeCon, where I had a table displaying my writings, information about the Okefenokee Heritage Center, and some comic books.

Although I sold only one book, it was good exposure, and I got to meet a lot of new people, and some old friends,  I sold a number of comics books and helped get out the word about upcoming projects of the Okefenokee Heritage Center and Purlie Productions.

Oh. well.  At least my accounting work schedule is not that intense right now, and maybe I can get more writing done now.

We shall see.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait










No comments:

Post a Comment