Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Bill Maher Wouldn't Like Me

Bill Maher, Grown-Up
 It's a shock.  But it's most likely true.

I've been watching Bill Maher for decades, dating back to his Politically Incorrect TV show.  I don't always agree with him, but the dialogue on his shows is usually informative.  He often has people of all political stripes on, and it is interesting to see them engage with each other.  I rarely found his monologue laugh out loud funny, but his panel is often good, and his New Rules inciteful.

But I have come to realize something.  In the highly unlikely circumstance that I should ever meet him and he gets to know me, I don't think he would like me.

You see, I'm a comic book fan.  And that means he thinks I'm not grown up.  And, according to his first response about it, I'm responsible for the circumstances that led to Trump - that a country with so many comic readers was ripe for Trump.  Anybody who regularly reads my blog think I was pining for Trump?  Heck, I knew what bad things would happen if the country elected an evil billionaire President - I'd read about Lex Luthor becoming President in the Superman comic books.  And I'd read about it in numerous articles and books, like the brilliant novel It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis.

Bill Maher's New Rules Friday night, doubling down on his November response to Stan Lee's death, was way over the top, and a definite indicator of how he would feel about me.

Don't believe me?  Here is a small part of his rant -

"Tonight’s editorial is about Stan Lee who, if you missed it, died in November. And a few days later, I posted a blog that in no way was an attack on Mr. Lee, but took the occasion of his death to express my dismay at people who think comic books are literature and superhero movies are great cinema and who, in general, are stuck in an everlasting childhood. Bragging that you’re all about the Marvel Universe is like boasting your mother still pins your mittens to your sleeves."
"You can, if you want, like the exact same things you liked when you were ten but if you do, you need to grow up. That was the point of my blog. I’m not glad Stan Lee is dead, I’m sad you’re alive. [...] "Director Kevin Smith accused me of “taking a shot when no shots are f**kin’ necessary,” except again my shot wasn’t at Stan Lee. It was at, you know, grown men who still dress like kids," Maher said as he showed a picture of Smith wearing a branded hockey jersey.
"Can we stop pretending that the writing in comic books is so good? Oh, please. Every superhero movie is the same thing — a person who doesn’t have powers, gets them, has to figure out how they work, and then has to find a glowy thing. [...] "I’m sorry, but if you’re an adult playing with superhero dolls, I’m sorry - I mean collectible action figures - why not go all the way and drive to work on a Big Wheel?
Nothing I say or write here would make any impression on this man.  My blog is little read or noticed.  Perhaps deservedly so.  I could write a response to this that could go on for pages and pages.
I just want to point out the blatant cruelty of one thing he said;  "I'm not glad Stan Lee is dead.  I'm sorry you're alive."  I've never had anybody before express that they're sorry I'm alive.
For better or worse, comic books are a mixed medium (literally!).  Sturgeon's Law applies, as in everything else - 90% of everything is junk.  Yes, some comics I read for sheer entertainment.  But there are many meaningful comics and graphic novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Maus by Art Spiegelman, and the brilliant three-volume epic March, about John Lewis's life and the Civil Rights Movement.
We all carry on interests from our childhood.  I still find the time to "adult".  I don't cosplay, collect super-hero figures, watch anime or superhero cartoons (there are rare exceptions - but for the most part, no).  I'm a fan of storytelling.  I read comics, books of all kinds, watch television and movies, and I love to act and write.  I don't smoke (anything), drink very little, carouse, hunt, fish, golf, obsess over cars or boats or planes,  or take recreational drugs.  I want to make clear there is nothing wrong about any of these things, EXCEPT if they consume you to the point you damage yourself or others.  And that could come from any interest.  Heck, there are even some people who become so obsessed with church that they sacrifice themselves and their family.  Balance and moderation, Bill - you know, like you do with toking reefer.
My sons read comic books.  My wife reads comic books.  Yes, there are some great stories written for adult females.  There is a growing number of female comic creators, writers, and artists.
Sorry.  I could go on and on.  So I will cut this short, as even with my beloved blog - it is best to do in moderation and not become obsessed.
Will I give up watching Bill Maher?  No, I'm not much of a boycotter.  And in the age of Trump, I need to find whatever resistance to his Orangeness that I can find.  He has a variety of guests, and it is interesting to hear their points of view.  Who knows?  Maybe he'll even have the courage to put somebody on who can challenge his negative view of comic fans.  
Stan Lee, that immature rascal, dressed for his WWII military service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment