Tuesday, March 26, 2019

One Grammar to Muzzle Them All

If I let it, grammar can terrify me, freeze me in fear, and dissuade me from writing.

Recently, Benjamin had a paper due for his college-level English class.  It wasn't terribly long, and it was on a topic that I was surprised that Benjamin had an opinion on, or could talk about with any coherence. It was a reaction to a short story by William Faulkner. It demonstrated deep thinking on Benjamin's part, and intricate, colorful use of language.  I was very proud of how he used language to convey his ideas and paint an interesting picture.

Benjamin uses Google Docs, and he used whatever grammar program it had to support him.  Then he transferred it into Word using my purchased Grammarly program.  He ran it through basic Grammarly and made corrections.  He then ran it through Grammarly Premium and made yet more corrections.  I reviewed for him and made suggestions. So did his mother.

We did all this, for a paper that had beautiful language, great logic, and convincing analysis.  So, high grade, eh?

Well, not horrible, but not the usual A.  His language and ideas were praised, but the teacher also found TWELVE grammar mistakes, inhibiting his ability to come out with a shining grade.

This after three grammar software programs, and inspection by the whole family.

My conclusion?

Grammar can be so bossy and restrictive as to paralyze one's ability and desire to write.

If you can't get it right no matter what you do, why even try?

The one negative comment I've gotten about History of the Trap was from an English teacher who questioned my grammar.  I admit that I put together the book before I purchased Grammarly, but I did edit extensively, got Beta reader's input, and had the book professionally edited by a family member who had been Editor of the local newspaper.  Crowley Stories: Swamp's Edge went through the same process PLUS Grammarly.  I have not received negative feedback about the book, mostly because I haven't received ANY feedback about the book (except Beta-readers, and one other person).

So what to do?

1) Since I can't get it right, I need to stop writing.  Grammar perfection will always elude me, so why try?  Then I think - is this what I want to tell my son as well?


2) Write very slowly and obsessively, spending more time thinking about the grammar than what I write.  Spend as much or more time relearning grammar rules.  Take an online class.  Go back to diagramming sentences.  Be frightened of adverbs.  Worry constantly about tense, or whether you show rather than tell.  I won't get much writing done, but what I do will be purty as all get out.  At least from a grammar point of view.

3)  Don't worry about grammar at all.  Just let the writing freak flag fly, and whatever pours forth, let it be.  Gibberish much?  Oh, yez, I kin gibber the jabber with the best of them.

4)  I can write my best, check Grammarly, reread, and just see if it makes sense.  The rule should be - can the reader understand what I am writing?  Is my message getting conveyed?

I'll go with option 4, if that's okay with y'all.

Grammar is not like math.  It is not hard and fast.  It is a system designed to interpret and codify how people are using language RIGHT NOW.  It can change and adapt in the future.

So, yes.  I will not let grammar rule me.  I will not let it muzzle me.  I will use it as a guide, and where I feel it improves my message. I will use it. 

But sometimes, I will overrule it.  That's just how my writing rolls.














1 comment:

  1. Here's the reality... Lots of articles and posts are uploaded in a 24 hour period on search engines and Grammarly can help you with your spelling however it can't help you be best on the Internet. Facebook recommended I test a complimentary editor called INK for All. It assists with Search Engine Optimization, http://bit.ly/2IiHXlQ

    ReplyDelete