Thursday, March 14, 2019

Prom Quest 2019: Where is Our Skyroom?


Welcome to the Skyroom!

It's Prom time this weekend!  Yes, I know.  It feels incredibly early to have a Prom (or, what was known in my school as THE SENIOR PROM).  It should be an event that triggers a Senior that there are only a few days left to their high school experience.  Alison has tried to explain to me many times why the Proms around here are so early now, and I buy it for a few seconds, and then I say, "Nah!  Ii should be in May, a week before school ends."

But, it be what it be.

Benjamin needs to find a restaurant, his Skyroom.  The Skyroom was where I went with my Prom date, a restaurant at the top of a small tower overlooking the Saginaw Airport (now MBS International).  It had a spectacular view of...the airport.  It was fancier than most, and not a place that I would otherwise go to.




The Skyroom still exists (as far as I could research), but it promotes itself as being a combination restaurant/bridal shop/bakery).  I think it's mostly an event place for weddings and such.


The Skyroom was not in the area where I grew up (Bridgeport).  You had to do some traveling to get there.  It's been a while so I could only guess - at least a half hour, possibly as much as an hour.  The Prom itself wasn't at the school - it was at a hotel lounge or something like that.  Our area was filled with lounges and bars and bowling alleys and halls and such.  I forget the particular name of where it was.  Benjamin's will be at his school.

So there is no Skyroom here.  Many go to Brunswick or St. Simons, which are an hour or more away.  With the Prom starting at 7:30, that makes time pretty tight.  They have an event early on called the Senior Walk that parents can visit, and Alison and I don't want to miss that.

Alison went to St. Simons to eat.  They got lousy service, and it took forever to get their food.  Consequently, they missed most of the Prom.  So, Benjamin wants to stay in the area.  We're comfortable with that too.

So, the question is - where to go?  I won't be specific about places.  In general, many seem like poor fits for a Prom Date.  One of the nicer places is part of a commercial chain and seems slightly cheesy.  Another is fancy but has a reputation for treating locals better than infrequent guests.  Some restaurants are closed on Saturday nights - a remarkably strange quirk that still exists in rural Georgia.  I can't explain that.  Another is smaller, less formal than some others, but with an owner that is friendly and open and will make you feel like a King and Queen.

The decision is not final, but I know which way I lean.  And I think Benjamin does too.

Where is our Skyroom?

It lies in the heart of those who care.  Sometimes you don't have to be overlooking the airport for your hearts to soar.














2 comments:

  1. I can hardly wait to find out which restaurant Benjamin chooses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He found a restaurant in Alma called The Blueberry Plantation. It's a very nice place, semi-fancy and very friendly. His date wanted to be surprised, and I think she was, in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete