Saturday, March 2, 2019

And the Race Begins! Saturday Political Soap Box 205


Off to the races!

Yes, it's very early.  But this is an important race, that will have significant implications as to the future of both the nation and the Democratic Party.

This is a very preliminary list and ranking of my own preferences.  It is subject to much volatility and change, as more candidates enter and more information is gathered.  I concede that I need to do more research on some of these candidates.  I am reasonably solid on my number one choice, but the rest could change dramatically.

I will keep negative commentary to a minimum, and concentrate on positives.  I invite commentary, but I hope we can center more on why you like a candidate than the negatives of other candidates.

My basic criteria?

1) explicit support for Medicare For All (single payer) 2) understand that climate change is the greatest threat to the planet, and support the Green New Deal 3) fund through small donations rather than corporate PACs 4) generally progressive positions on economic issues and 5) everything else being equal, I would prefer female candidates to men.  It is way past time for a woman to be President of the United States.



#1 - Elizabeth Warren, Senator from Massachusetts.  American workers have not a better defender and supporter for the last decade than this energetic and knowledgable person.  I first saw her on CSPAN as a professor explaining the decline and struggles of the middle class, in an as concise and clear way as I had ever seen.  She inspired and created the Consumer Protection Bureau.  She has led the way on a host of issues that would improve the lives of working families.  On my list of considerations above, she checks the boxes more clearly than anyone else.  The objections I have heard about her are nonsensical and stupid. But I'm not getting into that here.



#2 - Bernie Sanders, Senator from Vermont  - I did not expect him to rank this high.  I thought it was time to move past the Sanders/Clinton rancor (that's not a reflection on either candidate - that's on the extremists in both camps).  He was our Moses leading us out of the wilderness.  But, dammit, he still checks all the boxes, except for preferring a female candidate.  He continues to show that he is the all-time champion at grassroots fundraising and campaigning.



#3 -  Kamala Harris, Senator from California.  I know a little bit less about her, so I'm still in discovery mode.  What I know is mostly positive.  She has been dynamite in Senate hearings, her background as a prosecutor serves her and the nation well.  Like many, her alliance with a great midwestern candidate, like Sherrod Brown or Amy Klobuchar, would make a formidable team.



#4- Tulsi Gabbard, Congressperson from Hawaii.  I really like her,  She checks a lot of boxes.  The press, including the liberal media, have a great hostility towards her.  Her consistent position on opposing regime change throws off some, as it's not influenced by traditional political lines.  She is one I'm going to listen to carefully, and research, and accordingly, could move dramatically on this list, either up or down.  Many of you will not know about her, as the press will either exclude her or if they do mention her, it will be negatively.



#5 - Kirsten Gillibrand, Senator from New York.  She started as a conservative Democrat in Congress about a decade ago.  She has been moving to the progressive side ever since.  She has the Senate's best record of opposing Trump.  She checks a lot of the boxes I have listed, but with a shorter duration of support than some.  She is another whose list position could change, as I get more information and do further research.



#6 - Cory Booker, Senator from New York.  He is a great guy, who has been heroic in the past   He is a great leader and speaker, and has had positive relations in the Senate, which has helped in moving forward on legislative agendas.  He has received a good bit of Wall street money in the past, but I think has decided to raise more small donor money this time. He is generally good on the issues, albeit a little more centrist than some.



#7 - Jay Inslee, Governor of the State of Washington.  A recently announced candidate whose focus will be climate change.  Can't argue with that!  I'll just have to find out more as time goes on.



#8 - Amy Klobuchar, Senator from Minnesota.  A little too moderate to be a top contender for me personally, it is not without value that she is well respected by her colleagues in the Senate, Republican, and Democrat alike.  Although her leadership might not be bold, there is at least a possibility that it could be incrementally positive, or at least in the right general direction,  Because of her popularity in the Midwest, she might also make an excellent Vice-Presidential candidate.



#9 - Julain Castro,  former Mayor of San Antonio and former Cabinet official.   Good progressive political positions.  Young - 44!  Need to find out more.



#10 - Peter Buttigieg,  mayor of South Bend, Indiana.  All I know at this point is that he's prominent in Democratic National Committee circles, has some fresh ideas, and is even younger than Julian Castro - 37!    Sorry, that's about all I got, other than he would be our first openly gay President.  I will continue to research.

There are other announced candidates that either has no political background and/or yet to be determined credibility.  The most interesting may be Andrew Yang, a businessman who is advocating a basic income for all Americans of $1,000 a month.

And there are a number of prominent potential candidates who have not yet announced.  Joe Biden and Sherrod Brown have the potential to rank high my list, Beto O'Rouke less so.


Expect future updates!

Expect to disagree with me!

Except I hope we have agreement on one central point - Trump AND the Republican agenda must be defeated in 2020!

The future of the world depends upon it!











No comments:

Post a Comment