Thursday, November 28, 2019

31 Minutes of Thankfulness 2019 Edition

31 Minutes of Thankfulness 2019 Edison

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend!

I hope everyone gets to celebrate with family and friends!

I have about 31 minutes before I start on other Thanksgiving prep.  I'll take advantage of this brief gap to update to my new edition of thankfulness.

Yesterday we had our Thanksgiving brunch with Alison's father, his wife, and Alison's stepsister, her husband and young son, Graham.  It featured grits, sausage gravy and biscuits, hash brown casserole, apple pumpkin bread, and more! Today we have a Thanksgiving meal with Alison's Mom, and it features smoked turkey, dressing, and squash casserole. 

So that's how much time I have to do my version of the 31 days of Thankfulness I see so many of my friends doing on the Facebook machine.

So here goes!

1)  I am thankful for Alison and Benjamin.  We have a beautiful family, and it so comforting to be loved and supported.  Benjamin has started his first year at college!  He attends Georga College & State University in Milledgeville, Georgia.  He is going gangbusters in college, even better than I anticipated.  He participates in two choirs, an improv group, an Episcopal Youth Group, numerous gaming groups, and has applied to be a Community Advisor next year. Alison is beautiful and patient, practical, and loving.  She has been outstanding at her workplace and has done excellent planning for our family trips, including our Canadian trip to Toronto.  She has helped Benjamin immensely in dealing with university bureaucracy, and on keeping Benjamin on track in school work and college admissions.  

2) I am thankful for my two older boys, Douglas and Gregory.  Douglas is an environmental scientist in Atlanta.  Gregory is living the family dream, working in Hollywood in the movie industry.  He has most recently been the editorial colorist on the TV show For All Mankind. I couldn't be prouder of both of them.  I am grateful that Doug has a beautiful wife, Paige, and was overjoyed to be a part of their wedding.  Paige's father was also the minister who officiated the marriage! I am grateful that both my older boys have taken so much to Benjamin, and have been great mentors and friends to him.

3) I am thankful for my loving parents.  My mother, who passed in October 2008, taught me the power of unconditional love.  My father, who passed in September 2013, taught me more about responsibility and hard work, and about the true meaning of Christianity, than anyone else I've ever known.  I think of them often and miss them terribly.  I am grateful for the love and memories they have given me.

4) I am thankful I have a loving, caring sister.  Carol and her family have always been supportive and kind to me.  She did so much for my father, I am so grateful.  I am excited that she is now a Grandmother, with three (count 'em - three!) grandchildren.   Carol and Mike now live in the Grand Rapids area and live closer to her daughter and grand-daughters, Bailey and Morgan.  And now her son and daughter-in-law in Chicago, also have a son! I see lots of visits to Chicago in their future! 

5) l am thankful for my church family.  Grace Episcopal has been essential in the spiritual and social life of our family, and I am appreciative of the connections we have made and all the support and Christian fellowship they have given us.  I am thankful for everything that Rev. Kit Brinson has brought to our church, and it has been a joy to watch it grow, diversify, and become the hands and feet of Christ in our local community.  

6) I am thankful for my work.  I'm not going to pretend that accounting is something I love to do.  But my employers and co-workers have made it to be as pleasant an experience as it can be.  And I love that I am now "60% retired" working only about 15 to 18 hours a week.  It has helped give me the space to write more, and help me where I have finished two novels, History of the Trap and Crowley Stories: Swamp's Edge, and the short novella, My Europa.  I have in the neighborhood of a  million words on my blog, The Strait Line.  Crowley Stories: Swamp's Edge is now on Kindle and paperback form.  I also added A Christmas with Pegasus as an eshort, with a great cover by Kennedy Brice. Sales have not been sensational, but those who read my stories seem to love them, and want to know where the next book in the series is, and that's the highest compliment I can get.  I am currently working on The Extra Credit Club (first draft 95% complete)and then will begin work on the second of the History of the Trap series.

7) I am thankful that I can act, at least well enough to participate in community theatre.  Getting on stage and feeling the response of the audience has been one of the great pleasures of my life. I am delighted that I was able to participate in The Murder on the Orient Express as Monsieur Bouc.  It is true that I am doing fewer plays per year now, but it just makes me appreciate more those plays that I do.

8) I am thankful for the theatre group, Purlie Productions,  and everything they do to contribute to the arts in the area.

9) I am thankful for the Writers Guild and the Okefenokee Heritage Center. It has been a great joy to help form and support a group dedicated to the arts, and help local writers connect.

10) I am thankful that I have taken the time to develop this blog, The Strait Line.  It is named after a school newsletter my father had as a school principal, and whether it is good or bad, it has been a tremendous joy to me to get back in the habit of writing.  I have made over eighteen hundred blog entries, and my blog traffic has now achieved total page views exceeding 359,000. 

11)  I am thankful that Barack Obama was a successful President of the United States for eight wonderful years.  The fact that the Presidency has been taken over by such a racist misogynist con man buffoon saddens me to no end and makes it difficult to sleep at night, and is exceptionally disturbing to know I have friends who still support Trump.  Nevertheless, I am grateful to have had such an intelligent and caring President for those eight years, and I miss him more than you can imagine.  Now I am simply grateful every morning I wake up, and that foul creature occupying the White House has not put an end to life on Earth.  It makes you realize how precious every day is.

12) I am thankful that Obamacare has survived its challenges, and even though I fear for its future, I still believe it can provide the stepping stone to greater things. It is a vital step forward to universal health care and towards a more equitable, fiscally sound, and morally decent system.  If the Republicans are foolish enough to repeal Obamacare, then all it will do is galvanize the public to bring about Medicare For All that much quicker.  Right now, they continue their efforts to sabotage and undermine it.  All their efforts have only made Obamacare more popular.  I pray that people will see through this charade, and move us back on the path towards the only morally and fiscally responsible healthcare system, single-payer, best implemented in the USA as Medicare For All (not Medicare For All You Want It - that title is just stupid and annoying).

13) I am thankful that virtually all countries and many corporations, states, and local governments recognize the gravest threat facing our planet, climate change/global warming will finally start to be addressed. Not by America anymore, however. This is one of the darkest things we face, this continued climate change denial that grips so many, but I pray that we wake up soon and change.  In some ways, we have already run out of time, but I pray it is not late.  If Trump wins in 2020, then we might as well start a wake for the whole planet.

14) I am thankful that even though the progressive agenda may not be moving as fast as I want, at least the promise of a better future holds.  I am incredibly grateful that in the last election, the Democratic Party retook the House of Representatives, and will provide a vital check on the authoritarian fascism practiced by the orange con man.   I am grateful for the courageous runs made by Lisa Ring for our Congressional Representative in the 1st District of Georgia, and for Greg O'Dricoll for State House.  They offered a refreshing new view to this area and planted the seeds for future improvement.  Many of the new representatives are Progressive Democrats, not Corporate or Blue Dog. The Progressives are articulating many of the positions vital to me and forcing the media and the Corporate Democrats to give these issues at least a passing thought.  They are laying the groundwork for what I believe and pray will be the Progressive majority takeover in 2020.  The House has passed a record amount of legislation, but the DO NOTHING SENATE, led by Senator McConnell, blocks it all.  I am thankful that impeachment inquiries have begun, and that no matter how they turn out, they are making it harder and harder for Trumpeteers to rationalize their continued support of this reckless and corrupt man.

15) I am thankful that even in this radically conservative area, I still can seek out and find liberal friends to talk to.  Lisa Ring received only 10% of the vote in my home county, but I know many of those who voted for her and those who earlier voted for Bernie Sanders, and I am grateful that I found them.  Some ask who I support in 2020.  I will vote for anyone who can run a credible campaign against Trumpp, but my first choice is Senator Elizabeth Warren.  I prefer the Democratic Party to run a woman for President...AND Vice-President.  It's time.  It's way past time.

16) I am thankful that I can read and enjoy the pleasures of the printed page.  I know that some people laugh at my elaborate method of randomly picking new books to read, but it gives me great pleasure, and that is the most essential part.  I am currently reading The Testaments, Margaret Atwood's sequel to The Handmaid's Tale.

17) I am thankful for the television streaming services we have and the features that let me watch the programs I want when I want to watch them.   I am also grateful for the high-speed internet that makes streaming so practical.  We just finished the second season of Succession, and are in the middle of Castle Rock, Watchmen, and The Dublin Murders.  We are also watching my son Greg's  For All Mankind, one of the best shoes I've ever seen, certainly the best alternate history. 

18) I am thankful for pets.  We have four beautiful dogs, Dachshund mixes who are loving and have long, waggy tails.  Well, our newest, Boss-A-Man, maybe more chihuahua and Pomeranian, but he is marvelously sweet, and I'm glad I get to spend more time with him, in my semi-retirement. We also have a cat who is on rare occasions, sweet, Skitty.   

19) I am thankful for the movies.  I love storytelling of all kinds, and there is still nothing like going to the movie theater.  The best we have seen recently is Doctor Sleep and   Avengers: Endgame.

20) I am thankful for continuing medical advances that help extend and improve the quality of life.  I am at the edge of being diabetic, but I am going to fight it off with everything that I have.  Well, after Thanksgiving dinner, of course.

21) I am thankful that communities still come together sometimes to support neighbors in crisis, like with sick children, or suffering a fire or other tragedy.  The assistance given to others during the recent fires in California have been heartwarming, but Trump's cold and disturbing reaction to the fires have been heart-breaking and disturbing, threatening to cut off aid, and blathering about forest rakes.

22) I am thankful for those friends I have discovered or reconnected with through Facebook.  I am most grateful to Benita Vierke Collins, for her friendship and her efforts, and at reconnecting with the Bridgeport High School Class of 73 (and adjacent years), including such friends as Coleen Hitsman Anegon, Dona Bow Kilbourne, Lisa Whitehead, Karen Iffil, Pete Pasterz, Sandy Lurins, and Linda Arnst Spayeth (who has been so supportive of my writing efforts).

23) I am thankful for the great joy comic books have brought to my life.  I have been a fan and collector since I have been 5 years old.  Recently, Superman has been rebooted yet again, but the results have been AMAZING, with Lois and Clark married with a son.  Action Comics and Detective Comics have been restored to their original numbering, and I couldn't be happier.  I am saddened by the loss of Stan Lee, who had a prominent hand in the creation of so many Marvel characters, and whose legacy of decency and advocacy of Democracy will burn within me for the rest of my life, and in the lives of my sons as well.

24) I am thankful for Christmas, and the opportunity to express such joy and love to others.

25) I am thankful for the peacemakers, all the diplomats and others who spend so much time and effort to make the world a better place to live.  I pray that we give them the space to do what they can in Syria and other hot spots around the world.  I am thankful for the many Americans who have been willing to welcome the Syrian refugees and others in crisis.  You may not know from listening to the darkest politician of my age, Donald Trump, or others echoing his bigoted and hateful sentiments, but there are still many Americans, of diverse faith and politics, who still care about people and remember that this is a NATION of immigrants and refugees.  I am grateful for the courts for slowing down his blatant MUSLIM ban. Unfortunately for the world, we have put this hateful bigot in charge.  I can only pray that goodness and diplomacy still prevail.  

26) I am thankful for the first responders, who often put their lives on the line for us.

27)  I am thankful for ketchup, the condiment of the gods. I am grateful there is a low sugar version that I can use at least some as I fight off diabetes.

28)  I am thankful for Cherry Coke, the nectar of the gods.  I am grateful there is a Stevia (Zevia) version.

29)  I am thankful for colder weather, so I can go out sometimes without having to worry about the gnats.   That's not every Fall/Winter day here in Southeast Georgia, but it does happen often enough to celebrate it when it does. 

30) I am thankful for God, and for love.

31) I am thankful for Jesus Christ, who resides in my heart and urges me to love God, love my neighbors, and do everything I can to make this a better world.

Time's up!  On to Thanksgiving festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment