Friday, December 11, 2020

History of the Trap Vol. 2: Chapter Two - Dance Party Part 2

 

2

 

“What do you think, Lance?  Should they hold new elections?” Ginny, head in her arms as she sat in the cafetorium table across from me.  She had arrived early, ahead of the others.  I was always first to get a head start on notes for The Sands of Loren.  She has been quiet for a while, except to say good morning.  She knew my routine and let me have quiet to write. 

I put my pencil down.  She was still so beautiful to me, Her auburn hair maybe a fraction longer than a year ago, her green flecked eyes wide and expressive, her button nose, her sardonic smile – I had to remind myself that she was with Artie now.  They had been together almost from the time the Trap fell.  I was almost ashamed at how much I was still attracted to her, but after what I had been through with Lisa,  my flair for the romantic had been virtually extinguished.  I was just glad that Ginny was a part of my life.  She was a good friend, and I hoped I would never lose that.

“New elections?  Why?  Is Artie tired of it already?”

“Oh, you know why.  Granni-Knights still dominate the Student Council.  It’ll make it real difficult for your Dad to manage things.”

I understood her fear, but I was skeptical of Granite’s hold on them.  “However, many of them got onto the council, I doubt if they still feel beholden to a convicted murderer.”

“You’d be surprised.  I mean, my gosh, Lance, one of them is Mark’s brother!”  That was true.  Mark’s younger brother, Donald, had won a Sophmore seat (class designations were becoming increasingly meaningless, but there you go – soon we would all technically be adults) in the last election. 

“I don’t know.  Shouldn’t everyone be judged on their own merits?  The sins of one brother aren’t necessarily the sins of the other brother.”

“You might be right, but you might not.  I think we should start with a clean slate.  If any of the Granni-Knights run again and they’re re-elected, more power to them.”

“I disagree.  We should at least, give it some time.  See where their loyalties really lie.”

Ginny shook her head, strong enough for her lovely, slightly curled hair to spin across her face.  “By then, it might be too late. I think we should change things up before the dust settles, before Mark’s defenders can strengthen their rationalization.”

“Or more evidence comes out about what a monster he is” I still held out hope that he would be held responsible for Lisa’s death. 

“Look, I can dig what you’re saying, but truthfully, Artie has told me that your Dad is 99 percent set on having elections by the middle of May.  I can’t believe that Artie has to be the one who has to tell me what your Dad is thinking.  Haven’t you two resolved your differences?  Aren’t you two better now?”

“Better, yes.  But no, we’re not talking administrative policy or Student Council politics.  Sorry.”

“It’s ok.  I understand.  I still envy you your relationship with your father.  My Dad is…well, not much like your Dad.”

From what I knew, that was a bit of an understatement.  William Estill was the owner and pharmacist at Estill Pharmacy.  The rumors were not all the prescriptions made it onto the shelf.  As far as I knew, he wasn’t abusive to Ginny, but he was distant and cold. 

“My Dad is a good man.  I won’t slip up again.  I won’t withdraw from him again, no matter what happens.”

“Will you run again?”

“Run for what?”

“Student Council, silly.”

I hadn’t thought of that.  Mostly because I had no interest in resuming any kind of political career. “I don’t think so.  Nepotism, and all that.”

“Still, if students elected you, then that meant they were accepting of all that.” She grabbed my hands and stared at me with those beautiful, intelligent eyes. My head swam.  It was intoxicating.  I instinctively squeezed her hand.

 I didn’t know what else to say.  I didn’t want it.  But I didn’t want not to support my Dad, or the many students that had been hurt by the Granni-Knights.  So, I deflected.  “What about Artie? Will he run for re-election?”

“I haven’t made up my mind yet.  I’m kinda waiting to see what you and Lindsey do.”  Artie had come up to us while my mind had been absorbed in Ginny. He looked down and saw we were holding hands.  “Hey!  Whatchu doing with my girl?”

I withdrew my hands quickly, and at first, saw a dire look cross Artie’s face.  It just lasted a millisecond, and he promptly brightened with a smirk and a wink.

“How many times do I have to tell you, Arthur Evans Pentler?  I’m not your possession.  I don’t belong to you,” Ginny said, her expression more amused than bothered.

He sat down next to her and put his arm around her.  They kissed briefly.  I thought she seemed embarrassed by that, but it was probably just me reading into things.

“What about the big Dance, Lance?  Do you know about that?”

“No. Not really.”  I had not been involved with student dances since the one just before Lisa’s murder, the one with the violent confrontation with Robert Pelley.

“It’s something your Dad initiated, Lance,” said Artie.  “A celebration of a return to normalcy.”

“Please don’t miss it, Lance,” Ginny urged.  “It will be good for you.”

There were too many bad memories.  I doubted that another dance was capable of washing them away.

Artie stood up and extended his hand to Ginny.  “Come to me to my Kasbah.”

Okay, I wasn’t even sure what that meant.  It felt like I had stepped into the middle of something that I had of no knowledge or part. 

“What, my little Poohbah?” she replied. “Why would I want to be a part of your Harem?  Just another lass for you to fawn over?”

“Ah, but my dear!  You are not just another Harem girl; you are THE Harem girl.”

That was more than I could take.  “You two need to get out of heer.  I can’t take any more of this conversation.”

Ginny laughed.  “Ok, bye-bye, Lance.  But please do go to the dance.”  They started to leave, arm in arm, but after a few steps, she turned and said, “And be sure to save one dance for me,  You know, like always.”

One dance.  Like always.  What could be the harm in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment