Friday, January 8, 2021

History of the Trap Vol. 2 Chapter 2: Dance Party Part 3

 

3

 

The dance was delayed a week later than intended because, apparently, it was the time of the year.

One of the oddities of the Trap was that all the females stopped having periods.  At least that’s what we thought.  I didn’t have girls rush up to me and tell me whether or not it was their time, but I sure didn’t hear anything otherwise. 

At the same time, there were no pregnancies.  I haven’t got into it, Doctor, and I probably won’t, but yes, there was activity in the Trap that should have led to babies, but it did not.  I thought it might be related to the lack of a normal cycle.

Now, a little over a year later, it happened all at once, within about two weeks.  Luckily, Mrs. Novik had kept the inventory of sanitary napkins, and that part of it was taken care of.

I had been told that women get quite cranky as their period approaches, and that is why they couldn’t be President or other positions that required a level head.  I don’t know.  I didn’t notice much of that.  I’m sure some might have existed, but not enough for me to note. In my time in the Trap, I noticed more erratic behavior from men than I did women.

Mrs’ Novik pleaded with my father to wait until it was through before he scheduled the dance.  My father was chauvinistic enough that he quickly acceded to her request.  He wanted to deal with that as little as possible.

No one had a grasp on it scientifically, not even our brightest.  On the one hand, our food crops grew fast and robust, on some kind of accelerated time table.  On the other hand, it was becoming more apparent than our own age processes had slowed.  Our hair grew slowly.  I was hard-pressed to see anyone who had visibly aged, or grown in height.  And now, were women’s cycles going to be yearly instead of monthly?

Many things to ponder.  I was still a teenage boy (17 technically), and my worldview was still fairly self-centered.  So, the scientific concerns of the Trap received consumed little of my thinking time.  Mostly I was running a Hamlet style debate in my head as to whether or not to attend the dance.

I did not feel comfortable having “fun,” especially at a dance.  I had no interest in moving on to another relationship.  I didn’t resent others' relationships, like Ginny and Artie, but I had to be honest and admit it heebie-jeebied me a tad.  I wasn't sure how emotionally music would affect me, especially if it were a song I connected to Lisa.  Yeah, I was going through the kinds of mood swings that the guys were associating with the women and their ‘time.”

I also considered that I had friends who cared about me and wanted me there.  And I was, by nature, an observer, learning about people as I watched them interact with each other.  It helped inspire me in story direction and developing characterization for The Sands of Loren.

So, I could stay in my sleeping room, maybe the library, take a pass of the night’s activities.  Or I could go, start to draw myself out more, risk a gradual climb back into social engagement.

I emulated Hamlet up until the very last minute, and then I made up my mind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment