Friday, January 22, 2021

History of the Trap Vol. 2: Chapter 2- Dance Party Part 4

 

4

 

Was it worth going to? 

Socially, I’m not sure.  Discovery-wise, it was pretty illuminating.

My heart pounded.  My head thrummed with the vibrations of the music.  It reminded me of dancing with Lisa, and the vibratory hum I would get from holding her close.

We had fewer records to play, thanks in part to Robert Pelley’s collision with them, losing his temper at a dance last September, confronted by his boorish behavior towards Lisa, the last dance Lisa would ever attend. But our DJ, Bob Short, our smooth-voiced news announcer, the number one most trusted student at Loren High, just a-dripping with maturity and confidence. No, The Bob had two bands to rely on as well, Brassy Jazz and The Harlin Brothers (four guys none of whom were named Harlin, nor were any of them brothers).

But there were also records, one of which was playing when I noticed the hum.  It was a song that I had danced to with Lisa.  Sum of My Love by The Wall Nets. I don’t remember many of the words.  “You don’t have jut some of my love…you have the sum of my love.”  I know.  Pop music is strange.

While the Wall Nets played, I played being my new favorite, Wall Flower.  I stood near the side wall of the cafetorium.  If things got tough, I could look through the windows into the courtyard garden. Our agricultural had recently planted a couple of fruit trees, an apple tree and a pear tree. Usually, those were more of a Western Michigan thing, but they seemed to be thriving here, so, what the hey.  Again, we were grateful for Mr. Bruchow’s large inventory of seeds.  Mr. Bruchow had proven to be our most valuable and practical teacher.  Between my father’s Mr. Bruchow’s agricultural knowledge and the discovery of the Farm, our food palate was increasing in diversity every month.

I looked across the dance floor.  Ginny was dancing close with Artie.  They were affectionate, but not overtly mauling each other.  Artie had long resisted school dances, but Ginny had finally broken his resistance down. I won’t lie.  I still felt a twinge drawing me to her, but for the most part, I was happy to see them together.  There was so much heartache. It was good to see two people in love.

Looking past them, I saw Morgan near the opposite wall. My first reaction was surprise that she wasn’t dancing. I knew that her beau was now behind bars, but I thought she was the type that would still party. 

Then, as I brought her into focus, I could see the set of her face.  She was glowering, staring right at me, her eyes on fire.

Well, fine.  Be upset with me all you want.  It doesn’t change what your boyfriend did.

She could glower all she wanted.  I didn't have to look at it. I averted my gaze to Bob Short, who was getting ready to put on another song.  “Hey, Lookouts!  What say we step it up a notch?  Let’s go all out with Gina and the Giraffes, and their powerful ballad, I Want Out of Here?

That was a good one, and a sentiment many in the Trap could identify with. I applauded, and then I felt a presence right in front of me. I turned and saw it was. I was so surprised, I took a half-step back, banging against the courtyard window.

“Dance with me, Soap Boy.”  It was Morgan, inches from my face, still looking fierce.

What was this about?  Why would she want to dance with me?  Whatever her motivation, it couldn’t be good.

“N-no!” I stuttered out.  “Are you out of your mind?  I’m not gonna dance with you!  I don’t want to be anywhere near you!”

She flashed a smile that was more terrifying than her glower. “Tough tiggers, Principal’s kid.  You don’t have a blanking choice,”  She didn’t say blanking,  That’s my substitute. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment