Monday, April 18, 2022

A Season of Renewal

 


Spring has sprung.

It is a season of renewal and hope.

The time of Lent has ended, and we are now in the season of Easter.

There are many worries and concerns.  The Russian invasion of Ukraine is costing many lives and is destabilizing the planet - militarily, politically, and economically.  Putin roars and threatens the world with nuclear annihilation. Inflation is as bad as its been since the early years of Reagan. The authoritarian bug that has bit this country is still wreaking havoc.  COVID-19 still exists.

And yet...

The rallying behind the Ukrainian people has been impressive. Most people understand that inflation is caused by COVID supply chain issues and our commitment to boycott Russia, including their oil.  The history of the 2022 election has not been written yet, and there is always hope that the American people will do the right thing.  And although COVID has not vanished, we have many more tools to tame its effects.

And me?

Alison and I were re-confirmed at church.  Alison went through Inquirer's class to support a friend, and I joined her.  It was inspiring to hear the roots of our faith again and revitalize our commitment to it.

All three of my sons continue to be impressive in their work and personal lives.  

And I am now a GRANDFATHER!  Doug & Paige have a beautiful baby daughter, and we look forward to seeing her in July.

With their seasons just starting out, I can even delude myself into thinking my sports teams - Atlanta United, Detroit Tigers, Michigan Wolverines - will have record-setting seasons. But, please!  Let me dream until reality crushes it!

Retirement is a joy.  It means the world to me to be able to go through an entire tax season without thinking about taxes!  I even took my personal taxes for them to do  -  Daddy don't do taxes no more!

I hope to write more, sell my comic collection, read to people (young and old), maybe someday do a play again, and pursue all the hobbies and interests that I have time to do.

I look forward to time at home with Alison, participating more in our daily chores and reading together, binge-watching TV good and bad, going to church and visiting children and grandchildren.  

I hear the birds a-chripin'! I see the sky a-clearin'!  I feel the gnats a-swarmin!!

Ok, we'll forget that last one.

Happy Easter, everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment